A Heart Attack Experience

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello DW,
Glad to hear you're on the mend and as woodshavings says "no looing back, enjoy each day"
Thanks to everyone else giving advice, you never know when you will be wanting it,

Look after yourself
Alan

Hmm, well I Googled a bit on it, and certainly there are sites out there advocating it as first aid for a heart attack. I suppose even if it just has a psychological effect of making the patient feel something's being done for them, that must be helpful. They ain't heavy, so I'll keep carrying them. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Alf - that's about it: as an ex physiologist, if someone's having a heart attack, trying to stick a pill down their throat is irrelevant in practical terms... But, never underestimate the power of mental attitude. If you look and sound confident, and offer them a pill, it may just keep them alive until the professionals arrive. I've seen soldiers walk off for help with wounds that should have killed them - but their buddy's comments made them believe they'd be alright...

DW,

I'm glad things seem to be on the mend - must have been very frightening. Thanks for the useful description and to Ray too for his advice.

hey dw its time to chill and take it easy no more clubbing it and boozing till all hours ,what will the children think :roll: :roll: . take care and relax and dont let it happen again .

if someone's having a heart attack, trying to stick a pill down their throat is irrelevant in practical terms...

having survived an HA of my own, and the paramedic administered aspirin, I gotta ask.... how you figure..????? Even during the attack I'd control of enough body functions to convey details over the phone to the dispatcher... details that were relayed to the paramedics who were able to hit the floor runnin... so to speak...

As for difficulty taking aspirin, I managed a tab of my own, plus the megga dose given by the paramedics with no perceived difficulty..

As for placebo effect... granted the 50mg tab of my own woulda had little affect; the 300mg tab the paramedics issued is another matter...

The effect was to send my blood pressure way down, quickly thinning the blood to cut any farther strain on my heart...

Within 10 mins the pain started to subside, tightness in the chest eased and I gradually regained the use of my left arm.....

coincidence..??

I have my doubts... my step-dad had a severe heart attack 3 weeks before... aspirin kept him stable till the paramedics arrived...(150mg) their dose had him more comfortable within 20 mins and kept him stable till his arrival in ER...

not too shabby for a tree extract huh...????

Hope you get better soon - take it easy.

Adam

Hi DW,
So happy you're O.K. now & well on the way to recovery. My news is that my Dad happily survived 2 "jabs" in 1989. At the age of 59 he said 'Stuff the ciggies' & now is still going stong at 84. Gutted to lose my Mother at 65 to lung cancer, (again a smoker). I have stopped smoking (again) but suspect that as drug addicts & alcoholics are addicted for life, so I believe smokers are too. You just have to say 'no' when the urge takes you. SORRY!!!!
Bit depressing for a Sunday this. But it does give another side to Cambournepete's sad tale that he unfortunately lost his father. That's got to be tough. Droned on long enough I think. Take care & stay well DW, & that goes for you all on here.
Cheers guys,
Sliver.

Glad you're okay DW, hope you get better soon. It must have been really scary…

My cousin who's 3 now stopped breathing a week after he was born. One of the values or muscles around the heart wasn't working as it should, they also found three holes in his heart. After a few op's you wouldn't know he had anything wrong with him. He has more energy then anyone I know. It should of been detected in the scan before he was born but they missed it.

Silver

Thanks for the optomistic report on your past experiences re heart troubles, I am hopefully intending to do even better.

Returned to the workshop last two days and posting the latest easy output, a footstool to keep me from crossing my legs at the computer.

Charley,
Thanks for encoureagement, luckily I never stopped breathing, managed to stay conscious by walking to my easy chair. :D

Hi again DW,
Age must be catching up with me too as well as my Dad. In my post I stated 1989 as the time of his heart problems occurring. It should have read 1979! By 1980 he had retired on health grounds. Now, apart from some dumb kids deflating the tyres on his electric mobility scooter yesterday, he lives quite simply & is generally happy with life.

Hope today finds you comfortable & feeling well. Keep it up.

Cheers, Sliver.

Hi DW,

Glad to hear you're ok, time to lay off the free-fall mud wrestling eh?

I have ticker-related issues of my own, so it's always interesting to hear peoples experiences, especially those with a happy ending! :)

Take care,

V.

Hi devonwoody

read your posts & replys with great interest . as I was waiting to go in for some tests myself. Anyway it seems that I am going to have to have coronary artery bypass surgery for 3 arteries. am waiting for the date but am told as soon as possible.

I have read the booklets as given out., was wondering if anyone had been through the same op and could give any tips. It seems to be a very widely done op with some very good results afterwards.

I await for your replys with interest.
Regards
Norman

Hi Norman,

No personal experience, but two of my friends have, in recent times, had this artery bypass surgery. Although, of course, major surgery I understand it is these days nevertheless almost 'routine'. Both of them recovered from the surgery amazingly quickly, although of course they had to 'take things easy' for a while. Both say they cannot remember ever having felt better than they do now.

Good luck and all the best for a speedy recovery.

Cheers,

Trev.

My own experience was to have a stent fitted. My neighbour had the triple bypass some 10 years ago and he helped me lift my bandsaw(100kilos) on to its stand the other day, so I would suggest look forward to the op. it should make you feel fitter.
Mentally I am certainly more alert, I think the brain gets more oxygen.

Thanks guy`s for your comments and best wishes.

Most people seem to know of someone who has had this op, all remark on the amount of improvement gained. Just the thought of the down time involved is a bit daunting still its not as if I have a choice. Still will be a change being restored instead of restoring as I usualy have to do, only wish they would do the full job. with all moving parts nicely oiled or replaced finished with a nice light tan not too glossy thank you.

regards
Norman

Like your sense of humour, Norman. :wink: That will stand to you in good stead, for sure.

(Thinks .......... :shock: do those surgeons have long, drawn out, technical discussions about which tool, sharpness, flatness, bevel angles, techniques, etc., etc.). :roll:

Cheers,

Trev.

Back