A Good Handsaw Needed!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommo

Reaction score
Hi,

I don’t know if anyone can help? I am trying to source a reliable handsaw!
I have been using cheap saws up until now but I’m fed up with the teeth going blunt pretty fast and the handles not being very comfortable.

I use my saw on a daily basis for my job so I’d be happy to spend some money on getting the right tool.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tommo

Hello & welcome Tommo.

What are you cutting with the saw? hardwood, softwood rip or cross cuts? or is it mostly manmade panels or the most abrasive of all - laminate flooring :cry:

If you can let us know the usage then we can advise better and also tell us what makes of saw you are using at the moment.

Jason

Hi,

Thanks for your replies, I am after a saw for mainly 2x4 and cutting panels. I have been looking at some of the better plastic handle saws with the soft grip areas, I quite like the look of the Bahco pro cut, I don't know if you have had any experience with these. Although I do like the Stanley FATMAX with the wooden handle and plastic sheaf.

Deos anyone know much about the Teflon coated blades that some makes sell, apparently they reduce friction but I'm not sure if it is just a sales gimmick.

Thanks
Tommo

For general site work I mostly use the Stanley Jetcuts both 8 & 11 tpi, the coarse one on studwork and the finer one on panels. At the moment I am using a Bahco Laminator which is quite good but not as comfortable as grip as the Stanleys, The Blade also feels heavier.

You still need to treat these saws as disposable, I tend to get through a couple a year depending on what nasties I hit :cry:

Jason

I second the vote for a pair of Jetcuts.
B&Q had a sale on earlier in the year,and I got a "spare" pair for £5.99 each.

Andrew

Tony":eqh543e2 said:
Lie Nielsen
Not unless they've finally came out with their panel saw--I don't think the LN would make good jobsite saws, Tony :D

And as nuts as I am, I wouldn't use one of my panel saws on a jobsite, except for finish work. Well, maybe. But I don't think so...

I would, however, use nearly any of my vintage saws, which can be resharpened on-site or off...

Take care, Mike

Back