A few workbench questions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt_S

Established Member
Reaction score
I've read many workbench builds on here and have stolen bits from all of them! I do still have a few questions though.

1. How deep should I make it? My existing Clarke bench is only 500mm deep including tool trough, 350mm without. I've always felt this a bit narrow, but is there a "standard" size? It will be a flat MDF top no trough and at the moment I'm thinking 700mm.

2. I'm going to use pine for the legs, 4x2 laminated for legs. But which sort of pine? Do any of the DIY sheds sell anything good enough? I will be getting PAR, and want this bench to be good enough to keep for a long time so do I need to go to a wood yard? If so which type of pine should I use?

3. Final question, anyone with wonder dogs recommend a good spacing from the front edge for dog holes?

Thanks for the help.

Hi Matt. My workbench is 600mm deep. I think your chosen depth will depend on what you want to use it for primarily and also the space you have available to you. I can't say I've really hankered after any more depth personally. But if space wasn't an issue then I might have gone deeper. I think length tends to be more of a critical dimension.

Why not use sawn pine and plane it up? I hear you have a workshop close by with a new P/T that needs breaking in :D

I think I spaced my dogs at 150mm and it was wrong. I think I'd do it at slightly less 100mm or even 80mm

I think it has more to do with available space than ultimate size. I think your best bet is to make it fit the space you have.

Rather than make the legs from off the shelf par pine I think you'd be better to drop into Morgan timber or the timber yard in Marden (whos name I forget) and see what you can pick up. I think you'll get a better buying sawn and coming round for some planing and thicknessing. I have heard of british hardwoods being sold for as little as £9/cuft in lengths suitable for your application.

Can't help with number 3

wizer":ih7tpwfn said:
I hear you have a workshop close by with a new P/T that needs breaking in

Fully broken now, just getting to using the vac stuff :wink:

Make it as big as you can afford to - I wish I made mine bigger, and will be adding a tool-trough and some extra depth. As for dog-holes, I'd go every 3" and only an inch or two from the edge and ends to allow room for the wonder-dog. Regular 2x4 PAR should be fine if you are laminating.

mine is about 18" wide with a shelf at one side, the important things are 1) will it fit in your space with enough room to work and 2) can you work across the width.

The question of height is more difficult, I like a highish bench so I don't have to bend over as much due to a damaged back, you might want to experiment for a while before you finalise things.

Latest posts

Back