A Dillema

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphs14

Established Member
Reaction score
Don't know which way to turn now. I was on the point of ordering about £1200 worth of Douglas Fir to construct the frame for a conservatory/sunroom and the wood yard said they were not happy supplying me as the wood would be wet when cut and it will split badly as it dries. Don't know what to do now. Oak would be perfect but I cant afford £2500 for a similar footage, and that will split and twist. Anyone have any suggestions as to an alternative please?

Try a different timber yard, there's no shortage of choice in London and the South East.

But also full credit to the yard for flagging up a potential problem, better to find out the wood is wet now then when you were half way through the build.

murphs14":16ocse44 said:
Have you any suggestions as to a different suitable timber?

As I understood your original post the timber yard concerned inspected their stocks of Douglas Fir and decided it wasn't dry enough for sale, so if you're happy with Douglas Fir why not ring around some other yards and find out if they've got any dry DF in stock?

Get a price on idigbo, cheaper than the oak but dearer than the df. Fairly stable, only trouble I had with a one batch was woodworm but the supplier exchanged it no problem.

Latest posts

Back