A different box for me

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been making boxes over the past two years with mitre corners and this time I thought I would have a change.

However things did not go so smoothly for me as in the past.
The timber finished up 8.5 mm thick after forgetting to check that my bandsaw fence was square to the table so I had to thickness timber down to this measurement.

Next problem, I have not cut any dovetails for over 18 months so these were a bit gappy.

The timber used was black walnut, and had been laying under the bed for two years awaiting a project that I thought would warrant use of expensive timber. I must admit disappointment with this wood, it is very course, and does not have a nice finish after coming off the planer.

After gluing up the box I considered filling the dovetail gaps with sawdust and pva glue but decided to put bracket at each corner also utilising the brackets as feet and also top closure supports.

Next problem was gluing, the white pva glue allowed parts to slip whilst clamped up and so I had to take off the corners remake some more corner pieces and put on again.

Pleased to say though I have now completed the box as per photographs below, and will then consider some sought of finish that darkens the walnut and makes the sycamore contrast more attractive to me.

walnutbox1.jpg

walnutbox2.jpg

For all the re-designing on the wing, it's turned out nicely. Now, when are you going to incorporate some intarsia into one of your lovely boxes ;) ?

Gill

I presume there is no finish on the photographed box? As I am sure you know, any finish will darken/bring out the grain. I have used white polish followed by wax on black walnut in the past. This gives a darkish colour which mellows to an almost European walnut golden brown with age and sunlight. I wonder if button polish on the walnut would give you the desired contrast?

Bob

Gill":16w42y23 said:
For all the re-designing on the wing, it's turned out nicely. Now, when are you going to incorporate some intarsia into one of your lovely boxes ;) ?

Gill

I haven't got a scroll saw, and when I asked my neighbour to carve the lid for me, she said not likely, it would take a year of work.

GCR":3tayd88h said:
I presume there is no finish on the photographed box? As I am sure you know, any finish will darken/bring out the grain. I have used white polish followed by wax on black walnut in the past. This gives a darkish colour which mellows to an almost European walnut golden brown with age and sunlight. I wonder if button polish on the walnut would give you the desired contrast?

Bob
I've used tung oil on black walnut with very nice results. It brings up the colour and patterning incredibly well, but it does darken any lighter contrasting woods.

My current box has a lid panel of black walnut set into clear maple. I finished the walnut before I put it into the maple, which was then finished with a clear lacquer - VERY carefully so as not to get any onto the walnut. Once dry the whole lot was gently rubbed with 0000 wire wool and finished with a coat of clear wax. It looks amazing, with a very deep texture and shine - now I have to build the rest of the box to fit it to!

I gave an offcut a coating of clear shellac and later put on some finishing wax.

Very disappointing, I would like a french polishing sort of finish, thats done with a brush :wink:

Latest posts

Back