A couple of pieces

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark sanger

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Not posted for a while.

Here are a couple of hollow forms the first one is spalted beech 7 inches dia x 4 high ish. Finished in hard wax oil which I have to say I am taking a liking to, but will see how it performs over time.

IMG_0002zaed-1.jpg

The second is spalted silver birch, just on the limit of being unusable but with some stabilising and sharp tools it worked out. The wood for this was taken from the firewood/log pile at my local saw mill. I often have a look through and come away generally with more from the firewood pile than I buy. 6 x 4 inches again there abouts.

Various views

IMG_0003ed-2.jpg

IMG_0004ed-1.jpg

IMG_0001ed-1.jpg

Hi Mark,

2 lovely pieces, the 1st has a great placement of the spalt line and I think it works very well.

The spalted silver birch is a total winner for me, I can tell the spalting must have been bad on this puppy, it almost looks out of focus but that is down to the rate of spalting. Well done on avoiding a pant filler on that one.

Your form is up to your usual OK standard, just give me a call and I'll fill you in on the finer points of hollow form work, free of charge.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Take care mate,

Lee.

fantastic - like George I like the second one best - the mouth feels more open / inviting but it's picking between your children territory :)

Miles

I like the first best. The line of thunder hehe gives it focus, the second one is to splatted for me, its over powering and your not sure where to focus your attention (well im not). Both nice pieces all the same but the first does it for me more.

I too like the form of the 2nd a bit more however in terms of the wood itself I prefer the first.
Both excellent turned pieces nevertheless.

Hi all

Thank you for your comments they are much appreciated.

Lee I will certainly be in touch :D :D

Back