A Cake Box - Finished

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteG

Established Member
Reaction score
While the fretwork tote is in A&E :) this morning I got to work on another little pressie for our lass, a cake box. Anything that has to do with cakes is right up my street :)
And again the pattern was supplied by Steve Good.

I picked American Red Oak for the body and Sapele for the top and base, one for some contrast and secondly because most of my wood is Oak or Sapele.
I had to do a little re-sawing this morning mainly for the decorative part of the lid which would be 6mm Oak, but the main part of the box I used what I had,
more about that later.

After preparing the pieces and taping up we're ready to go.

For the main part of box it says to use 1" stock but as mentioned I used what I had, which was 46mm, hopefully it won't look out of proportion when it's finished, but if I was to make another
one I'll go with the recommended 1" stock!
I started the internal cut with a No9 Pegas Double Reverse Cut blade with the saw up to mach speed, but the blade didn't seem to be doing anything, it was just going up and down and rubbing
against the Oak! I don't have any blades larger than a No9 but I did have some Olson No9 PGT's, I referred to these as Animals when I first tried them and thankfully they lived up to their name
getting stuck right in there. I was about a third of the way round before the blade lost it's edge and I could feel the side of the wood getting quite hot so it was time to change the blade.
In total in took three blades to cut the inner out, and the same again on the second piece.

To make a life a little easier changing the blade on the second piece I drilled some extra holes. There was also a knot in this piece of timber so I cut a piece of the pattern out so I
could see it whilst glueing the pattern down.

Which both pieces cut it was on to the bobbin sander. Using a hole saw in the pillar drill I cut a hole in a piece of 3/4" ply, as the inserts aren't flush with the table. £350.00 for a Jet bobbin sander
and they can't make inserts to fit, they should be bloody ashamed! :)

Time to see if they fit...

And they do :D not perfectly perfect but perfect enough.

I didn't want to take any chances cutting the decorative part that will be glued to the top, as it looks a little fragile, and again the insert isn't flush with the table.
So I drilled a 3mm hole in a piece of 3mm ply held by 2" spring clamps front and back.

And here's where I'm up to. I'll finish the internal cuts tomorrow, and then I have the feet to cut. There's only three and they're quite a nice simple design so shouldn't take long.
With a bit of luck this will be finished on Saturday and ready for a few coats of Wood Silk :D

That ain't a Cake box Pete! up here we'd call it a bun box! lol and use it to store our deep fried cupcakes and maybe the odd fondant fancy.
I'm well impressed with this project so far and wish i could control the saw good enough to do scroll work but my previous attempts were only fit for kindling lol
Also pleased to see some sawdust on your saw! now your a real woodworker (bet it was quickly cleaned up after though?)
Cheers
Brian

Can't believe I didn't notice the saw dust Brian :) but you're right, I cleaned up afterwards ready for tomorrow...It's been a nice and easy piece to make so far, and I have several other box plans I'd like
to make with ribbons and stuff on. Our lass thinks I'm still working on the tote, although she doesn't know what it is I've been making. I suppose at some point I'll have to make her a few things she can
try her pyrography kit on, which will also be a surprise.
Are there no jigs that could help you with scroll work Brian? There seems to be jigs for just about everything else, and the intarsia pieces you make have very intricate looking detail.

Another little gem!
A very nice Victoria sponge would go really well with that cake box.
'Er indoors made one this week, I had to put the tin in my workshop 'cos those bloody kids were eating it!
Rodders

blackrodd":2pzpukvl said:
Another little gem!
A very nice Victoria sponge would go really well with that cake box.
'Er indoors made one this week, I had to put the tin in my workshop 'cos those bloody kids were eating it!
Rodders

You did the right thing Rodders, cake is very bad for kiddies, you keep it out of harm's way. :lol:

Here's a dry run. The top needs gluing and then I'll trim it on the router so it's nice and flush, anf there's a little sanding to do before gluing up. Hopefully once it's had a couple
of coats of Wood Silk you'll see the contrast of the wood!

Had an early start this morning to finish the Fretwork Tote and Cake box. After the dry run yesterday it was time to glue the Cake Box up.
I made a clamp/press a couple of days ago from a couple of sheets of A4 Birch ply, this was to be used for clamping the top two pieces together
and no doubt will be used on other projects,

All clamped up and all snug as a bug in a rug :)

All I had to do once the glue was set was to pop it on the router and trim the top piece level with the base. All was going well until I lost my grip and bloody thing flew out of my hand, hit the router
cutter and ended up on the floor. I knew before picking it up it was another casualty for A&E :shock:
I thinned the top down on the planer and then finished removing what was left on the belt sander, but I put too much pressure on one side and ended up at all angles, and I now had the feeling I would
have to cut another piece! The inner ring was now bigger in height than the outer which was also now lower on one side. With nothing to lose, I wedged the inner ring into the outer and very carefuly
put the two pieces through the thicknesser, thankfully it worked! Cutting a new top and gluing up again, once dry I decided this time to sand them flush on the disc sander.

All went to plan gluing up the other pieces and once it was complete, it was time for a couple of coats of Wood Silk...
And here it is, a Cake Box. I'd hoped there was going to be more contrast with the wood but I can't see our lass pulling me up over it! :)

Back