A bit of fun - Karts finished!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all, another good day building the second kart. Made this one a little smaller, but put sides on it so we could go with a pirate ship design that one of the kids did.

WIP (part 1):

1. Fitting the axle

1.jpg

2. Adding the wheels

2.jpg

3. Securing to scaffold board

3.jpg

4. Tapering the top end for the front axle

4.jpg

5. My 'hot poker' for the steering bolt.

5.jpg

6. Bolting it down

6.jpg

7. Base of the cart complete

7.jpg

8. Seat added

8.jpg

9. Starting the laminate sides!

9.jpg

10. Top brace for sides (will eventually support front push rods)

10.jpg

TBC

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 772
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 772
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 772
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 772
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 772
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 772
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 772
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 772
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 772
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 772
11. Adding a front brace

11.jpg

12. Adding a post for front sides, planed roughly to match the angle of the front point

12.jpg

13. Adding the front sides - what a botch!

13.jpg

14. Progress so far today

14.jpg

15. Insides

15.jpg

16. Kart along with some window boxes we built for a local pub

16.jpg

And now over to you.... I'm looking to see if we can get a steering wheel on this one. I was thinking of putting a bar through the centres as below, drilling through it to allow rope to tie each side of the front axle, thereby twisting the rope and turning the wheels when you turn the bar (with steering wheel attached) - not 100% sure though - any suggestions ?

17.jpg

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 762
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 762
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 762
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 762
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 762
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 762
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 762
Eric The Viking":3o4tunvk said:
I like Will's idea of a steering bar, but these things tend to oversteer horribly...

... If you make it a parallelogram (rather than a trapezoid) - in other words with the connecting links angled (towards or away from each other) rather than straight, you'll introduce some 'gearing' to the steering. I'd go for slightly more foot movement = less wheel turning. Put blocks on the ends of the foot bars, so feet don't slide off in a crisis!

E.
I think your explaining "The Ackerman Principle"

How can I remember something from a lesson on motor vehicle technology at college in 1976, yet I can't remember the jobs my wife told me to do before she went out this morning?

I have 3 grandchildren, you have got me thinking its time I made them a cart!

Lons, I too used the "Hot Poker" method to burn the hole in the planks, I remember running through the house after leaving the poker in the fire in the front room until it was cherry red, ah those were the days.

Now where will I find an old "Silver Cross Pram" I need some big wheels for the back axle.

BH

Would it not be better to have the steering pivot point in front of the axle? I would have thought that it would make the steering less twitchy.... But I may well be wrong!

Boatfixer - thanks, we've tried it front of the axle on Kart 2, so will be able to compare.

Both carts are nearly finished, will be painting / decorating this weekend - ready for the race next weekend!

Karts finally finished for the big race tommorrow!

The first was done up as a pirate ship:

1.jpg

The second we are dead chuffed with we did up as a dragster - got my mrs to do the decals on her vinyl cutter, dead chuffed. This was the original prototype which we shortened - as ever, the first prototype turns out better than the second but hey-ho, we're pleased:

2.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 550
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 550
Karts are actually the first thing I ever made out of wood when I was a child. I wish I had some pictures but my design was very similar to yours.

David

Cracking work! I've been trying to lure my teenage son away from his addiction to computer games, i.e. get him to make one and use it! I've given up, there obviously is no life beyond the monitor... :(

Briliant :mrgreen:

Dare I show this thread to Doris? She's bound to want one :-k

Well, not too bad. The pirate ship came 8/9 and the dragster game 3/8 - must be something to do with the flames. It's been a fun project - looking forward to starting it all over again next year!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 396
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 396
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg