A bench too far ???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm inclined to agree with jaffajim0. I've just read this for the first time all the way through and I have to say the vibes were not good. This may not have been intentional but people have cut very close to the bone of someone who is a designer by stating that his piece is not original. Especially considering there is not a huge amount of detail in pics on BSM's link. And then the spelling dig seemed very mistimed and looked to me like a kick while he was down. It felt very out of charater for this forum.

Eoin

studders":het4plbw said:
jaffajim0":het4plbw said:
I can't believe the flak (and how personal it is) this guy is getting.....

I think you're rather exaggerating the extent of the 'flak' as you call it. Though I agree, in principle, with you in regards to the spelling issue I do think it rather lazy not to bother using the spell checker provided, it only takes seconds.
The main issue appears to be whether or not an apparently bog standard bench design that has been around for generations can be 'claimed' to be a unique design.
We've yet to have confirmation of the bench in question so, we may all be barking up the wrong bench.

Edit. I missed the link to the bench in question. :oops:

Having now seen it, or a picture of it, I honestly can't see how a claim that the design is 'original' can be valid. It's a bog standard bench design with some extra detailing that has been done, possibly many times, previously on similar constructions.

I agree the main issue is or should be about the bench but it has veered off from that and become more than a bit personal. Like it or not using the spellchecker for some people is not important and I find it hard to believe that some people can get wound up about this so I think the main thing is that they don't like either someone disagreeing with them or the way in which they disagree.
Puzzles me.

jaffajim0":3w4b5x3h said:
for some people is not important and I find it hard to believe that some people can get wound up about this so I think the main thing is that they don't like either someone disagreeing with them or the way in which they disagree.
Puzzles me.

I agree that mentioning the spelling issue, in the context of the thread, was unnecessary and only detracts from the questions raised with regard to what is or is not original/copyrightable.

Apart from the main topic from BSM everything else has gone away from the original post. BSM if i had the tools needed and lived closer to yourself i would without doubt let you have access to them so you could get the bench completed.

BSM is not doing this for monetary gain, he is doing this in his own time and trying to help people out, He also mentions that if any money was to come into it for profit then he wanted it given to charity. If anyone from the forum is close by why not give him a helping hand, I joined the forum because of the posts i have seen with Members helping other Members out, and i like being part of a good comunity.

Well that is my 2 pence worth. Hope you get it sorted BSM and well done for helping others out in your own time like you do.

Cheers

Dave

chris nangle furniture said:
good at cutting curves in 100.mm oak with a circuler saw are ya? love to see that in practice LOL

and yes it is my design ,after 12 years of business ,do you not think i did any product resurch? and if i just picked a bench from b and q to copy what would be my usp? why would i be specified by leading architects all around europe ? if they could buy my work on any high street ?why would my work have featured in gold medal best in show gardens at the rhs chelsea flower show hampton ct flower show and tatton park flower show.
credit me with some intelagence

I can't see any curves in that bog standard bench you've "designed", its not a very clear picture IMHO, perhaps you could put some nice working drawings up so we can all have a gander, and moose can get a cutting list together :wink:. As for the other ones on your website I think you have a case, as they look unique, and its nice stuff. I don't see why you are getting a bee in you bonnet over that bench anyway, it was nice of moose to ask, but I don't think he needed to in this case.

Kids, would you usually treat a member with only 6 posts to his/her name like this? Experience sez no. Be nice; welcoming new members has traditionally been one of the things we're good at. :(

Chris, welcome to the forum. At the least perhaps this experience will help in wondering if the photographs on your site fully convey the salient points of your designs. Got to get something useful out of it, I guess. :wink: Hope you'll stick around and get involved in less contentious threads. :)

Cheers, Alf

tisdai":3kejlira said:
Apart from the main topic from BSM everything else has gone away from the original post. BSM if i had the tools needed and lived closer to yourself i would without doubt let you have access to them so you could get the bench completed.

BSM is not doing this for monetary gain, he is doing this in his own time and trying to help people out, He also mentions that if any money was to come into it for profit then he wanted it given to charity. If anyone from the forum is close by why not give him a helping hand, I joined the forum because of the posts i have seen with Members helping other Members out, and i like being part of a good comunity.

Well that is my 2 pence worth. Hope you get it sorted BSM and well done for helping others out in your own time like you do.

Cheers

Dave

Cheers mate - but just to clarify this isnt an own time project for me - My guys are all volunteers and give their time freely to help make trail furniture etc, but I am a paid volunteers coordinator. (other than the fact that I nam having this discussion in my own time) - However neither I nor my project get any money from installing memorial benches (even if donations are given for our time they only cover ancillary costs - we do it as part of our commitment to maintaining and improving access for all to the countryside)

On the bench issue I am going to speak with the client on monday and tell her that we cant make it to that design and suggest she buys one from chris for us to install - or if she still wants us to make it that she doesnt expect it to be bang on that design

and on the copyright thing, can i suggest people get off chris's back - I asked the question not just because of the legalities of copyright but also because it is good manners and common courtsey to ask before copying someone elses work - however generic a design it might be - and I would note that chris has freely given me permission to copy, he just noted that he doesnt usually do so.

Tho that said I am going to try to persuade the client to buy from chris as this will be a win/win solution - he gets some work, i get not to have hassle of doing work we dont normally do, and the client is guaranteed a nice bench

AS, AFAIK, no one else on here actually wants to copy chris's work anyway can I suggest you cut him some slack and stop giving the guy needless dung - particularly about things that couldnt matter a toss like not using the speeeling chunker

Most gripping thread i have read on here, im impressed the mods haven't closed it down.

Back to the spelling issue. The spell check button doesn't work in every browser, When i click the button it says it supports Opera6+ well thats not true as im using opera 10. So if your using one of them browsers that will not work with this sites spell checker then unless your browser has one installed you can't spell check.

Spelling isn't a measurement of intelligence. I am dyslexic, yet have two successful businesses an above average IQ and learn in depth very fast, it is ignorant to think someone anyone that can't spell to be thick or otherwise unable to do very well.

this really has been blown out of proportion, a very simple design there is no two ways about it.

cnc machines can do nearly anything a skilled letter carver can do, sometimes better than.

adidat

I think some of Chris's work is quite unique and could be defended, that bench, not sure, I don't think it's nearly as good as some of the rest.

Aidan

Hudson Carpentry":2505c1o7 said:
Ok where is the link to the bench? i have looked for the is chris nangle a member thread, even used the search but its gone

This is the thread - I just renamed it, and Chris asked me to take the link to his website off because of all the pointless dung he was getting.

you can find his website easy enough with google

It's probably time to call a halt. If you want to discuss copyright in general terms (and I mean general terms) go to the other thread. No more discussion on Chris Nangle and his bench please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back