90 year old bench-long post with lots of pictures

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great. You must be pleased - and I'm sure he will be!

Adam

John - good going!!

It really puts all my projects to shame in regards the general quality to the speed you have worked at. Looks really nice!

Did you work from a plan, or it was your own design?

Also, how did you find working with Iroko? I'm thinking of doing a couple of projects with it later this year and have been warned from the members here a few times about the contagiousness and potential irritation from it.

What a super job - well done! I hope that the club will get a nice brass plaque made so that future generations know who it was made in honour of. I'm sure both father and son will be well pleased.

Steve

Thanks for the compliments.

Byron, no plan but I based it on a bench I have that I bought before I started woodworking. My additions are the curves on the top and front rails. I find Iroko OK to work with. It is very tough and blunts tools quickly and is prone to tearout but for outdoor projects where a fine finish is not needed I like it. I do not have a allergic reaction when using like some people but wear my trend airshield all the time and my clothes go straight in the wash when leave the workshop.

Steve, the brass plaque is on order, wont be here for Sunday though, nobody thought about ordering that early enough either.

John

john, for that project to be done in that short of time you want a medal as big as a football, well done , its beautiful.

John

That is a lovely bench and I'm sure the 90 year old wil be very pleased with the result, wel done and thanks for sharing.

Excellent John

I'm sure it will outlive the owner (and his son) by quite a few years - an heirloom for sure

Andy

John, I really like that. And the wip is very interesting too.

As a relative novice, it is in a way comforting to know that even skilled woodworkers can make mistakes under pressure. But more than that, it's very instructive to see how you worked around them, to the extent that, if you hadn't pointed them out, no-one would know. :)

Dave

Very nice bench John, well done =D>. I'm sure the recipient and all the other members of the club will appreciate it. I also liked the shot of you're re-handled Japanese saw. Do you not get on with the straight handles?

Good Surname or what ?":2qoumha9 said:
Looks great.

I was wondering what a 90 year old wanted with a workbench :oops:

So glad i wasn't the only one who made that mistake. But have to say bloomin marvelous bench that

John,

Good job John! Very impressive!

=D> =D> =D>

How did you join the battens of the seat to the slats? And how did you do it to the front rail?

Thanks,

Lovely job John!

Pleased to see you have a nice big extractor for keeping much of that nasty dust out of your lungs - and that you also managed to overcome your problem with the seat.

Isn't it amazing how it can take hours away from you to correct one minor mistake which can happen within only a few seconds of marking out? At least it was curable though, I'm sure you know it could've been much worse, especially at the gluing-up stage! :wink:

Latest posts

Back