62 Hot dog handle

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim_hanna

Established Member
Reaction score
Nothing original here, just a link to a page which I didn’t find when I first searched.
I’d seen the LN 62 and hot dog handle in the catalogues, LN are outside my price range so when I bought a Quangsheng 62 I searched for ’62 hot dog handle’ to see if anyone had made one.
This returned the turned handle made by Derek(from Perth) but didn’t return Alf’s site at
http://cornishworkshop.blogspot.co.uk/2011/01/peters-principle.html which I found by chance.
Hopefully the search engines will index this for future reference.

My effort below, as suggested by Alf I extended the front inner limb to engage with the front rib. Built out of various scraps laminated together, the only shaping I’ve done is to round over the handle.
handlesml.jpg

onplanesml.jpg

onboardsml.jpg

Attachments

• handlesml.jpg
    handlesml.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 1,717
  • onplanesml.jpg
    onplanesml.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 1,717
  • onboardsml.jpg
    onboardsml.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 1,717
Looks great! How do you find using the 62 on a shooting board?

I've been thinking about getting one as my number 5 is used with a cambered iron for thicknessing across the grain and I'm knackered trying to use my only large straight ironed plane on the shooting board as it's a number 7!

Nicely done! I have often wondered whether a similar, non-invasive 'thingy' might be used on the other side to form a guide for use in a track. Certainly on my 'rountoit list.
xy

James C":17ycsjtb said:
Looks great! How do you find using the 62 on a shooting board?

I've been thinking about getting one as my number 5 is used with a cambered iron for thicknessing across the grain and I'm knackered trying to use my only large straight ironed plane on the shooting board as it's a number 7!

I never had any success using a standard plane ( Stanley 5 1/2) to trim cross grain on a shooting board, but I'm a newbie still learning to sharpen. Others seem to have no problem. The secret seems to be a very sharp blade.

The previous plane I was using was a 60 1/2 block plane so the 62 is a huge improvement.

Regards

Jim

Just a word of caution, I added a cigar shaped grip to my LN9 fashioned from goncalo alves a few yrs ago, left it on a few months and when removed revealed some florid rust pitting. Needless to say it is now removed after use.

Jeremy

jim_hanna":22hzbhmt said:
I never had any success using a standard plane ( Stanley 5 1/2) to trim cross grain on a shooting board, but I'm a newbie still learning to sharpen. Others seem to have no problem. The secret seems to be a very sharp blade.

Yeah - if the blade won't take actual, intact, end grain shavings (not just "bits") it ain't sharp enough.

BugBear

I have a "hotdog" handle for my no. 5 and another for a no. 5 1/2, both used on shooting boards when not using my QS 62. They are made from ply and use magnets to improve the hold to the side of the plane.
PICT0351.jpg
]
P1020075.jpg

Back