6010/11 welding electrodes, why not popular in europe?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when I lived in Fance, now Greece the only rods available are Oerlikon 6013's or the Chinese cheapo's.......
anything else is special order and need to drive 2.5hrs for the privelage.......
I've used the Oerlikon rods with an old buzz box, even powered by a genny, 240 and 440 v oil filled welders......
never had a problem, even used em for structural stuff.....as big as 6mm......
would need to check but the 6010's/11's are better at vertical welding.....
what few st/steel rods I have left are treated like gold......

I have come to hate those cellosaic or sour rods.

The welds become brittle in low temperatures and things fall apart. Those things are dangerous. Therefore they are structly forbidden for anything structural or anything in the construction trade in Finland.

There are E7018, E6010, E6011, E6013...but I am more used to the last. Some are suitable for vertical, horizontal, flat, or overhead welding positions. As they do give up fumes when welding (esp. galvanize), one should avoid the smoke.

I picked up an as new stick welder with a bag of about 50 rods , Gloves , Face shield , In its original box £25 , Will try it out soon , Fingers crossed it works , He told me it did , BUT it was a boot sale purchase.

I have come to hate those cellosaic or sour rods.

The welds become brittle in low temperatures and things fall apart. Those things are dangerous. Therefore they are structly forbidden for anything structural or anything in the construction trade in Finland.
Cellulosic rods Such as Nu five are normally used for root welds on pipes or stove pipe welding on pipelines although probably machines do the pipelines by now. These should not be used on structural work as they can be very brittle as they freeze fast to allow root welds to be put in easier and more consistent. General workshop use you would need the likes of ESAB Mildtrode. 7018 are a low hydrogen rod if my memory serves me well, stronger but more problematic in use. 7018 should be baked and kept at a certain temperature to avoid damp which causes porosity in the welds. Normally on site they have done away with ovens and supply small quantities in vacuum packs but once opened they are not returned to stores and any not used are binned. In 1975 there was a fracture of the Alaskan pipeline that runs to USA and it was decided to look at the weld records during the investigation. It seems that there were 20,000 suspect welds as they had no records of the welds. The negatives of the X-rays on welds had disappeared, probably buried, and ironically it wasn’t a weld that fractured but a pipe section.

Cellulosic rods Such as Nu five are normally used for root welds on pipes or stove pipe welding on pipelines although probably machines do the pipelines by now. These should not be used on structural work as they can be very brittle as they freeze fast to allow root welds to be put in easier and more consistent. General workshop use you would need the likes of ESAB Mildtrode. 7018 are a low hydrogen rod if my memory serves me well, stronger but more problematic in use. 7018 should be baked and kept at a certain temperature to avoid damp which causes porosity in the welds. Normally on site they have done away with ovens and supply small quantities in vacuum packs but once opened they are not returned to stores and any not used are binned. In 1975 there was a fracture of the Alaskan pipeline that runs to USA and it was decided to look at the weld records during the investigation. It seems that there were 20,000 suspect welds as they had no records of the welds. The negatives of the X-rays on welds had disappeared, probably buried, and ironically it wasn’t a weld that fractured but a pipe section.
how can you freeze molten metal quicker. nu5,s are used because they get the job done good and quick and you dont have to fart about with heated quivers on site,only use dc power

how can you freeze molten metal quicker. nu5,s are used because they get the job done good and quick and you dont have to fart about with heated quivers on site,only use dc power
Hi,
You are obviously not or have been a professional insurance coded pipe welder unlike myself and don’t really have a clue unfortunately. The reason they freeze quicker is due to the flux, the metal content is roughly the same as a mild steel rod. Secondly they are designed this way so you can put a root run in a pipe weld and as you cannot get inside the pipe on most sizes, you can still get an even root penetration. Thirdly you don’t use quivers because the worst thing you can do is bake them, in fact a friend of mine failed his inspectors test by stating this in his exam. If they are too dry best thing to do is dip them in a bucket of water. Fourthly they are too brittle for structural work and in fact on pipelines are only used away from built up areas where they are used vertically down(stoved) on all runs until the pipeline nears populated areas where it is done by the dollymix, which is stoved root run and then conventional weld vertically upwards.
When the forerunner to Nu5’s came out which were Fleetweld 5’s they could only be used on DC positive electrode and weld test inspectors would check the polarity when testing welders to make sure of this. Later they became Improved Fleetweld5’s and could be used on AC current but coded work never really took to this. Now I believe you are allowed to use Nu5’s on negative polarity in industry but the Fleetweld 5’s were never as good once they were improved. Using these rods on negative left the root welds prone to cracking and any welder worth his salt would ensure they had the hot pass(second run) in before going for break. The best weld sets for these type of rods used to be the Lincoln ’ bullets’ as they had separate voltage control which allowed for faster freezing but enough amps for heat and penetration. I apologise if I have sounded rude but this is my experience in over 50 years of pipework and welding.
Regards,
Dave

Hi,
You are obviously not or have been a professional insurance coded pipe welder unlike myself and don’t really have a clue unfortunately. The reason they freeze quicker is due to the flux, the metal content is roughly the same as a mild steel rod. Secondly they are designed this way so you can put a root run in a pipe weld and as you cannot get inside the pipe on most sizes, you can still get an even root penetration. Thirdly you don’t use quivers because the worst thing you can do is bake them, in fact a friend of mine failed his inspectors test by stating this in his exam. If they are too dry best thing to do is dip them in a bucket of water. Fourthly they are too brittle for structural work and in fact on pipelines are only used away from built up areas where they are used vertically down(stoved) on all runs until the pipeline nears populated areas where it is done by the dollymix, which is stoved root run and then conventional weld vertically upwards.
When the forerunner to Nu5’s came out which were Fleetweld 5’s they could only be used on DC positive electrode and weld test inspectors would check the polarity when testing welders to make sure of this. Later they became Improved Fleetweld5’s and could be used on AC current but coded work never really took to this. Now I believe you are allowed to use Nu5’s on negative polarity in industry but the Fleetweld 5’s were never as good once they were improved. Using these rods on negative left the root welds prone to cracking and any welder worth his salt would ensure they had the hot pass(second run) in before going for break. The best weld sets for these type of rods used to be the Lincoln ’ bullets’ as they had separate voltage control which allowed for faster freezing but enough amps for heat and penetration. I apologise if I have sounded rude but this is my experience in over 50 years of pipework and welding.
Regards,
Dave
been there done that. if they are prone to cracking why have i used them on refinery pipe work. might cause a fire of some magnitude. william press, foster wheeler, mathew hall e.t.c. procedure was convesional root ,fill and cap. i dont wish to be rude but you obviously dont know what i have done or what experience i have

been there done that. if they are prone to cracking why have i used them on refinery pipe work. might cause a fire of some magnitude. william press, foster wheeler, mathew hall e.t.c. procedure was convesional root ,fill and cap. i dont wish to be rude but you obviously dont know what i have done or what experience i have
I’ve never heard of any refinery using Nu5,s for filling and capping. Normally 7018,s and beaded welds.

Back