6000 rpm blade in a 3500 rpm saw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dvddvd

Established Member
Reaction score
I've bought a 180mm x 0.6mm x kerf circular saw blade and the manufacturer says its best run at 6000 rpm.

My mitre saw runs at 3500 rpm with a 216mm blade...what will happen?

My mitre saw runs at 3500 rpm with a 216mm blade...what will happen?
It will run at 3500 RPM whatever blade you fit to your mitre saw, the peripheral speed will be slower and you will be running it somewhere around half the specified speed so best to get the right blade. Is that blade intended for a cordless portable saw ?

Not sure what the blade is intended for, but had a quick look at table saws and ive not found one that runs that fast, a small one would be better

At their respective rated rpms the 180mm blade has a tooth speed 40% more than the 216mm blade, 56m/s vs 40 m/s. Recommended tooth speed is often 40-60m/s, at 3500rpm your 180mm blade has a tooth speed of 33m/s. At lower tooth speeds you are more likely to see burning as you have to slow down the cut. If you have the blade already, give it a go.

Can you give us those numbers again ?
Is that really a 0.6mm (kerf) ? That's crazy thin.
I'd expect a figure for the kerf and a figure for the plate thickness.

I think my SCM tablesaw is spec'd at 5,000 something rpm with a small blade fitted. It has a 3 position pulley to cover the range 8" through to 16" dia blades so 6,000 rpm in a small diameter blade isn't entirely crazy, just not so common.

It isn't a scoring blade for a much bigger saw is it ?
Scorers run pretty fast but usually because they are only about 120mm dia.

Hi yes it has a 0.6mm kerf but only the outer 10mm of the blade. The rest is normal thickness blade.
It's for cutting fret slots in a guitar fretboard around 3 mm deep. Then the metal frets get pushed into the slots

Back