5 things you didn't know you could do with your tablesaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jhalfa

Established Member
Reaction score
I just got a new ipod and have subscribed to some of the video podcasts to watch on the train.

The Wood Whisperer one is excellent and he takes you though building some very interesting furniture items - I just watched one about building a sidetable out of ABW and maple, which was organic in shape.

The other ones I have been watching are from Woodworking Online from the people who publish Woodsmith Magazine. Some of these are very useful and informative as tutorials about how to use tools, but I watched one recently called "5 things you didn't know you could do with your table saw".

The first thing learned that I didn't know was just how close you could hold your fingers to a spinning blade without a riving knife or a guard. :shock: Especially when he is cutting tapers

Why is it that US programs always say that they have removed the guard for demonstration purposes - surely that teaches people that guards are not needed?

Also he shows you how to make coving on a tablesaw by passing wood across the blade at an angle. Does anyone here do that regularly?

Anyway take a look at the episode and let me know what you think. It is episode 21 on the following link:

http://www.woodworkingonline.com/category/podcast/

Regards

Jonathan

I've made coving on the t/s after I saw norm do it years ago. Didn't turn out that well - just as easy to pop out to the local woodstore and browse (mmmmmm....). I really didn't like the lack of control pushing the wood across the blade - it just seemed wrong.

Yeah I saw the coving one. Dangerous just does not describe it. A saw blade is not meant to be stressed sideways. No blade guard, and the blade will be trying to throw the piece away. God, if you let go for even a second, the kickback would be horrible.

I do admire the American woodworkers such as Norm, but to willingly show dangerous techniques is just irresponsible. One of the programs on The Woodworking Channel opens with a saftey announcement stating that "No project is worth the saftey of you or those around you." and 2 seconds later states "Guards have been removed for clarity". :shock:

When will they learn? :roll:

The cutting edge woodworking prog has all the guards in place, just as easy to see what he is doing.

I noticed it wasn't only saw tables. I was feeling somewhat queasy watching a presenter pushing a short strip of wood across the planer with his fingers about 2" above the blades! Same again on the router table!
Not good. :?

Back