5/8ths - 16mm ? and TS blade recomendation?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tusses

Established Member
Reaction score
looking round for some blades for my new (to me) TS

the bore is 5/8" - plenty places sell 16mm , which is just a tad over 5/8" do I keep looking , or will 16mm be OK ?

also - whats your preferred brand when selecting good quality blades ?

Ta

Rich

i have had joy with freud also. also perform are cheap and good. my thin kerf cmt seems to start vibrating halfway through the cut but doesnt seem to affect the final finish as its still very sharp.

Jonny, are you using a blade with a bore diameter that matches exactly the diameter on your saw?

Don't just limit yourself to the available 5/8" blades, places like Axminsters sell 30mm to 5/8" bushes so you can use the full range of blades available. I also use CMT blades.

Go for 5/8" bore if the spindle is that size, the odd 0.13mm can make a difference, with one side of the blade cutting more than the other.

OJP I also get a bit of fluttering with the thin kerf blades sometimes so now stick to around 3mm kerf.

Jason

JasonB,

I must beg to differ slightly on the .125mm difference in the diameter. That translates to less than .005 inch. In practice, with the arbor nut and flanges tightened down, I suspect that it will rotate even less than that off centre. As long as the arbor is concentric, the back flange is machined accurately and the blade is flat; then the (less than) .005 inch off centre should, in practice, have negligible effect. Any of the other factors (arbor runout, inaccurate [less than flat] flange, warped blade) should have more effect than the .005 inch on the blade bore. In fact, I'm sure having a couple of chipped or replaced teeth will likely cause it to be more out of balance.

Yes, ideally a 5/8" is better than 16mm. But if one is able to have a better choice of blade by going with the 16mm, then it should cause no problems in practice.

I agree with what you're saying about reducing bushes, I have a number of 30mm bore blades with reducing bushes. I also agree about using full kerf blades (though I do have a couple of decent thin-kerf blades).

Brad

I have a CMT thin kerf blade which is my preferred blade for use in my cheap underpowered TS.

I bought it originally because I had to cut a lot of thin strips and wanted to save as much wood as possible. What I found in use is that the saw cuts a lot easier with this blade than with thicker blades. I believe this is due to it having to remove less material. Since it cuts easier, it cuts more accurately, and I have not experienced any vibration or wobbling with this blade.

regards

Brian

Back