45° Lift-up stay sought (INSTALLED)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmy rivers

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'm a bit stuck . . . I am on the hunt for an appropriate lift-up stay to work to a max opening of 45 degrees. I've been though my Hettich and Hafele books and experimented with changing the position of a standard 90 degree lift-up stay but can't quite find the right solution

The project in question is a row of storage/ blanket boxes that will run along the eaves in an attic space, where the roof pitch restricts access. Unfortunately an opening via the the side panel is not an option. I've put together a rough pen sketch to give an idea.

Perhaps I've over looked a product?...Any leads very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_20140820_195634_605.jpg
    IMG_20140820_195634_605.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 166
I've got an old ottoman (40+years) with one of those on.

As they say the lid lifts up (to quite a bit less than 90 degrees) and the cam locks it in the open position.

To close it, lift the lid slightly (you may need to rotate the cam manually, however mine is very old) and the lid can be closed.

I'm sure you could do this with gas struts of the type used on cars. These people http://www.strutsdirect.co.uk/ have a wide range and offer a free design service to ensure you get the right solution. Not a cheap option but you can set them up so that the lid will stay open at any point in its travel.

Jim

Many thanks for the replies. Ideally we would like to use a GAS strut for an assisted / soft opening. However some very good alternatives as a back up - thanks guys :D

Thanks for the link yetloh. I've submitted a design request to Struts Direct - WoW - There's a website for everything :D

Cheers Jim

Completed the project today by installing the struts supplied by Struts Direct. They were quite an expensive component as suggested, but the quality plus the free design and technical support service is excellent (even after a hiccup with delivery!). So a round of applause from me for Struts Direct =D>

The struts were supplied at 50 newtons and need to be appropriately depressurised to suit via a tiny grub screw in the top of the pressure vessel. A bit nerve racking being a one way operation i.e. when it's gone, it's gone! :shock:

Below are some pics along with the custom technical drawing supplied by SD. Thanks again to all who helped.

Cheers Jim

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-11 at 16.01.11.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-11 at 16.01.11.png
    216.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 67
Looks great, they are an elegant solutio. I bought the stainless steel versions which are even more expensive, but still worth it.

Jim

Back