3rd bowl...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterBassett

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

This is my third finished bowl and I think my best so far.

It's about 9 inches in diameter. The foot it a separate piece. I turned a spigot (?) on the foot and used this to glue into the chuck recess on the main part.

Sanded to 400 and finished with Woodwax 22. I put far less wax on the main body of the bowl than on my last one and the finish is *lots* shinier as a result.

Again, please give any feedback you think might be helpful.

12634_164731610793_634950793_3004213_1840014_n.jpg

Simple continuous curve for the bowl but a different style foot. It wasn't designed that way, but about halfway through turning, it ended up this shape and I liked it.

12634_164731615793_634950793_3004214_7347485_n.jpg

12634_164731620793_634950793_3004215_2088820_n.jpg

Shiny!
12634_164731630793_634950793_3004216_535168_n.jpg

Pete

A really nice shape and finish. Even more so for a third one. I like the way the grain is symetrical inside, was that deliberate or serendipity as it really enhances it. Oak isn';t the easiest of woods to turn well IMHO so you ahve done a really good job

Pete

Thats a very good bowl Pete, especially as its only your 3rd. It has a nice curve to it :D
Not too keen on the foot though, I feel it would look much better without it.
Cellulose sanding sealer used under that woodwax 22 would make it look and feel much shinier.
JT

Nice bowl !

I like the foot, but maybe in the same wood ? Looks like you gained a fab finish !

Loz

That's very good for a 3rd. item Peter, thin section, not easy if wood starts to move, continuos smooth curves and free from tool and sanding blemishes.

Lovely looking bowl and Oak Pete and well finished :D
Not to keen on the foot,though that also is nicely turned and finished, as the bowl would look good on it's own methinks.
Keep em coming :D

A lovely bowl I would love to be able to turn such a pleasing shape and finish. I also like the foot, a good idea that I intend to use!

Thanks for posting it.

Matt

Nice one Pete,

The bowl has a clean, pleasing shape and the grain enhances it.

Not sure about the foot but that is purely personal taste, the execution is very good for a third attempt. Attempt is the wrong word, you achieved the objective. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Mike C

Lovely bowl section - elegant and simple, well f inished, but personally I don't like the foot - without it the proportions would be just right, with it, I think it becomes fussy and old-fashioned. However if that's your third bowl, that's some steep learning curve you're achieving!

Pete

Thank you all for your comments.

bodrighy : The board that this came from had quite pronounced growth rings running along it. I deliberately cut the bowl so that its curve was the opposite of the curves of the rings. This maximised the grain on show I think. Whether this is best practice i don't know! :wink:

johnny.t. : I actually thought about sanding sealer! It was in my hand! Oh well.

loz : The foot is oak too! The reason it might look a little different is that the first foot was destroyed on the lathe. This is a second one from a different board of oak.

To those who like the foot : I'm glad you like the foot!
To those who don't like the foot : Sorry you don't like the foot. :lol:

The foot is an attempt to cover up the chucking recess left in the main section of the bowl. I still don't have access at "school" to ways of getting rid of it.

pete honeyman : I agree that the main bowl is a nice shape. I want to do a really big one, 18" or so and 6" deep. That wouldn't need a foot. Where to get a lump big enough is the question.

Thanks again for all the constructive criticism.

Pete

Back