3D printer - can't wait!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkey Mark

Established Member
Reaction score
Just found out work will be getting a 3D printer soon. :mrgreen: No idea on size yet.

Never used one but seen many a great item that has been made on one. Can't wait to see it.

Not sure how much access I'll have to it but I'm going to look for a few tutorials on them now. The more I know, the more access I'm likely to get.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

marcros":2u69b5th said:
excellent.

Would you mind printing me one off?

I've always wondered whether you could use a 3D printer to print a 3D printer? :mrgreen:

But seriously, you must be able to make a lot of the parts? If so, maybe I'll be able to own one cheap. And, if access is good and I become competent, I'd be more than happy to print out items for others.

No 2 son uses one regularly as part of his job. He believes that one of the possibilities is to create a working watch.......as is, no need for assembly...... :shock:

Sam

SammyQ":3j998e5v said:
No 2 son uses one regularly as part of his job. He believes that one of the possibilities is to create a working watch.......as is, no need for assembly...... :shock:

Sam
That would be impressive!

Currently searching the net. I can see the odd file to make 3D printer replacement parts, but there must the files out there to make a complete printer (minus electronics, metal parts etc).

CPC Farnell are offering various 3d printers at the moment, from £300 to £700. Which, I guess, is what we were paying for dot-matrix black and white printers not so long ago.............

I wish they could invent one that prints cast iron......... until then the only need I can think of would be making replacement parts for too cheaply made plastic stuff.

3D printers are making real and significant change for people already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGSo_I86_lQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcLh-aSUdx0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74XLCBkvc1Y

Another important ability is that in being able to print biological scaffolding in conjunction with stem cells in the field of regenerative medicine. That's far off but has the potential to allow us to grow functional organs, which has already been done in fact with a kidney and heart.

The possibilities of 3d printing so far shown makes industrial construction perhaps the least important part of it's repertoire.

Wow.......I wasn't aware of their use in that field. I am deeply impressed!

A machine that manufactures the best possible substitute for lost limbs at a lower prize than before is indeed a step forward for mankind!
Helping an ill or disabled person to a better life is a noble thing if any.

We got an extrusion 3D printer at work, an interesting toy but not really useful at making anything apart from models. Certain components could be very useful, if and when everything worked properly. I think you've got to spend a lot of money to get something fairly useful. A lot of the press on 3D printing is somewhat overoptimistic at the moment.

Latest posts

Back