3612c issue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Baker

Reaction score
Hi all, when using my Makita 3612C router with a large template profiler bit, it unfortunately got hold of a knot in the wood and threw the (clamped) piece across the workshop!
On restarting the router it was apparent that it was now not running true, with some vibration and the end of the bit off centre. I assumed I had bent the bit and ordered another, but no improvement.
Where do I go from here? Bearings? I've googled it but not found anything of any use as yet. Hoping there is some wisdom here and I can rectify my router.
Thanks in advance,

Could be bearings, so check top and bottom. Could also be the collet is damaged. Could be the spindle is bent.

Could be bearings, so check top and bottom. Could also be the collet is damaged. Could be the spindle is bent.
As above, I think it's best to get it to a Makita service agent. Prices can be stiff however and it may be more economical to buy a new one. I always find Makita routers to be exceptionally smooth running.

As above, I think it's best to get it to a Makita service agent. Prices can be stiff however and it may be more economical to buy a new one. I always find Makita routers to be exceptionally smooth running.
Thanks, never had a problem before and it’s in good order, hence I’m keen to repair if poss. The collet looks fine so I guess I strip it down (with the help of YouTube) try to find the issue and progress from there. 👍

As above, I think it's best to get it to a Makita service agent.

It depends on the mechanical confidence of the OP. Routers are not difficult contraptions. Dismantle it and identify where the problem lies. The problem is that if it is the spindle bent (part 11 on diagram below), it is £150.

If you take it to a repair shop, it would be £40-£50 to tell you that it will cost £150 plus more labour to fix.

https://www.mtmc.co.uk/Makita-3612-Router-Spare-Parts__p-137266.aspx

A second hand machine is half that price:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/386793045987

Back