Duplicated Router bits?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crispy70

Established Member
Reaction score
IMG-0441.jpg
IMG-0442.jpg
Hi guys,

Newbie with a router and router table here.
I went a little crazy in Axminster on black Friday. I ended up buying a few too many router bits and would like some advice before I return a couple, please.

Amongst others, I bought a hinge recess cutter and a milling cutter (see pic)
I intend to fit a few doors at home which explains one purchase, and tbh I bought the milling cutting, well because it looked cool and had 25% off.
Now the dust has settled and I have looked through my original bits, I found this flush trim cutter that I already had.

All 3 are 12.7 in diameter, the only difference is the milling cutter is 8mm deep and the cutting profile on the hinge cutter has a "U" shape in the middle.

Is there any reason to not return both and make do with the flush trim bit?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Cheers,
Chris
img-0441-jpg.148587

The extra U shaped bit might be to aid chip extraction because the hinge recessing bit is used in a jig.

Ollie

The flush trim bit is aimed at template work, it cuts on the sides guides by the bearing whereas the hinge cutter is for cutting rebates for a hinge often with a guide bush and jig. The milling cutter I would suggest is just a straight two flute cutter. I buy most of my cutters from Wealdons and Infinity because they have outstanding quality and as you say
Newbie with a router and router table here.

So take a look at this from Wealdons, it will give you a lot of info on router cutters, guide bushes and much more which will only enhance your skills with the router.

https://www.wealdentool.com/kb/rons-tips/

Hold on to your cutters. You may need one if five years time and what will the price be then ? The cost of router bits quickly exceeds the price of the router itself.

The flush trim bit is aimed at template work, it cuts on the sides guides by the bearing whereas the hinge cutter is for cutting rebates for a hinge often with a guide bush and jig. The milling cutter I would suggest is just a straight two flute cutter. I buy most of my cutters from Wealdons and Infinity because they have outstanding quality and as you say

So take a look at this from Wealdons, it will give you a lot of info on router cutters, guide bushes and much more which will only enhance your skills with the router.

https://www.wealdentool.com/kb/rons-tips/
That's a great source of info. Many thanks.

Router bits are just a worthwhile investment, maybe not cheap but get quality and they do last and definately extend what can be achieved in your woodworking projects but lets not forget to mention the elephant in the room, the spindle moulder which so many overlook as an option for the home / DIY woodworker and is something I would have investigated as an option had it not been for the fact the router tables get all the advertising. Now you get a lot more options with profiles and also the option of your own custom ones so don't just dismiss the poor old spindle moulder thinking it is just for trade use.

Router bits are just a worthwhile investment, maybe not cheap but get quality and they do last and definately extend what can be achieved in your woodworking projects but lets not forget to mention the elephant in the room, the spindle moulder which so many overlook as an option for the home / DIY woodworker and is something I would have investigated as an option had it not been for the fact the router tables get all the advertising. Now you get a lot more options with profiles and also the option of your own custom ones so don't just dismiss the poor old spindle moulder thinking it is just for trade use.
I have a spindle moulder with power feed and a few routers, they all have there place depending what you are doing. Small work I go for router, anything over 10m I use spindle.

Back