30mph!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OPJ":3086alqn said:
RogerS":3086alqn said:
So I whacked it into second, floored the pedal, overtook on the pavement and carried on. OK - I made that last bit up.

...So, you overtook on the pavement and stopped?... :roll:

:D :wink:

Those bus queues really clog up your radiator...

Travis":tf13xzrg said:
I've sure gotten old! I've had two bypass surgeries, a hip replacement,

New knees, fought prostate cancer and diabetes

I'm half blind,

Can't hear anything quieter than a jet engine,

Take 40 different medications that

Make me dizzy, winded, and subject to blackouts.

Have bouts with dementia ..

Have poor circulation;

Hardly feel my hands and feet anymore.

Can't remember if I'm 89 or 98.

Have lost all my friends, and my hair. But, thank God,

I still have my driver's license.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: =D>

I have a Morris Oxford, Beautiful car, we go caravanning with it, very rarely exceed 25mph, and yet whenever people overtake us they always wave as they go past, they sometimes lean right out of the wndow to make the effort to gesticulate

Hmm - This is our transport!! Someone once likened it to a "horsebox scr*wing a Clio" :shock: :shock: - yes it's a CLIO :)

ClioKnockhill.jpg

Lots of fun, very economical (deisel 55mpg) hot'n cold, mains hookup - even has a shower :oops:

Creates lots of interest on the road and on site

Hehe

Dave

The Major":21kj076k said:
I have a Morris Oxford, Beautiful car, we go caravanning with it, very rarely exceed 25mph, and yet whenever people overtake us they always wave as they go past, they sometimes lean right out of the wndow to make the effort to gesticulate

I'd have had you down for an Armstrong-Siddeley driver myself.

Regarding the two lorries overtaking I remember my sister telling me that in Germany they have a word for it which translates as something like elephant racing.

Any Germans on here that can confirm this and tell us what the word is?

Elefantenrennen

Interestingly....The overall safety record of autobahnen is comparable to other European motorways and motorways are safer than other road types. A 2005 study by the Federal Minister of the Interior indicated there were an equal number of accidents per kilometer on the autobahn in sections without any speed limits.

So let's get rid of that daft 70 mph limit :wink:

Only 5% of accidents are caused by breaking the speed limit compared to 32% for people not looking properly, which in my experience is usually the doddlers...

Harbo":99xlq80i said:
What really annoys me is lorries trying to overtake each other on 2 lane roads, generally uphill, with no speed difference?
A long queue of frustrated drivers built up in no time at all!
A few years ago travelling down the M20 this happened for about 10 miles.
If the lorry being overtaken is doing the legal 60mph, why bother to overtake especially at 60.005mph?
Rod

the legal limit is 90kph or 56mph not 60 and the limiter holds us to that max

and why do we overtake at +.005mph cause we can! and it annoys car drivers (only joking) and no I dont know why some truck drivers have to get past as you state

Calpol":3nmvedcq said:
Only 5% of accidents are caused by breaking the speed limit compared to 32% for people not looking properly, which in my experience is usually the doddlers...

It snowed a lot here today, but didn't freeze, so the roads stayed clear, but wet. I went shopping and came across an old couple doing 15mph on a wet main road, with a queue of about 10 vehicles behind them trying to get past. I must admit I shot out of my side road to get in front of them, but they never caught up. On the wet snow driving took some care, but was OK, especially with 'Winter' mode turned on.

I was driving on the A420 on monday (dual cariageway but with only one lane partially clear and the other covered in frozen slush) doing what i considered to be a safe but reasonable speed of 50mph

muppet in a modeo comes screaming up behind doing easily 70 probabbly more, flash, flash,flash on the lights - pulls out into the slush to go past , overtakes then promptly looses control spins and goes backwards accoss the verge and into a ditch.

laugh ? I nearly cried. Though to be fair i did stop to make sure he was okay.

Our weather here BSM is extraordinarily patchy. I live at the bottom of of a Cwm, which you would expect to be a frost hollow, but we've been thawing for two days and very little snow. 8 miles down the road at Eglwyswrw they have 8ft drifts and everything has come to a halt, but your lot at the Coastal Footpath have been listed as Angels as they have dropped normal duties and are moving the sick, bringing in medical supplies, even helping the meals on wheels.

Roy.

big soft moose":2s12h293 said:
I was driving on the A420 on monday (dual cariageway but with only one lane partially clear and the other covered in frozen slush) doing what i considered to be a safe but reasonable speed of 50mph

muppet in a modeo comes screaming up behind doing easily 70 probabbly more, flash, flash,flash on the lights - pulls out into the slush to go past , overtakes then promptly looses control spins and goes backwards accoss the verge and into a ditch.

laugh ? I nearly cried. Though to be fair i did stop to make sure he was okay.

See what you've been and gone and did by driving too slowly :)

RogerS":205byn7f said:
Elefantenrennen

Interestingly....The overall safety record of autobahnen is comparable to other European motorways and motorways are safer than other road types. A 2005 study by the Federal Minister of the Interior indicated there were an equal number of accidents per kilometer on the autobahn in sections without any speed limits.

As long as we can get our roads up to Autobahn standards!

BugBear

bugbear":15tfpgv8 said:
As long as we can get our roads up to Autobahn standards!

In one respect UK motorways are far better than those in Germany and the rest of Europe, and that's in our use of cats eyes. I've driven in many European countries and none of them seem to use them. It's not too bad in good daylight, but at night, particularly in very bad weather when visibility is poor, the absence of cats eyes can make it almost impossible to see lane markings. Add to this the macho, German nutters in their BMW M3s and Porches and you have a lethal combination. No wonder they have so many multi-car pile-ups...........

Cheers :wink:

Paul

RogerS":1b8kb6vw said:
Elefantenrennen

equal number of accidents per kilometer != safer.

Motorways are the place you are least likely to have a crash per mile. This is due to a number of factors, but longer sight distances, lack of tight curves, separation of opposing traffic streams and opportunities to pass slower vehicles are probably the major factors.

Unfortunately, due to pesky physics, the potential energy of a moving object increase with the square of the speed. So if you do have a crash on a motorway or autobahn it's much more likely to cause death or serious injury as lots more energy needs dispersing. I seem to remember that after single lane A roads motorways have the next worse record in terms of deaths/serious injury rather than number of accidents.

For general edification of UKW here's some data from "Roadcraft, the essential police drivers handbook" (I'm not a Policeman, I just bought it up in the bookshop to try and improve my driving). It's a 2001 copy but I'm sure the stats haven't changed that significantly.
What are the likeliest sorts of accidents?
- A third of all accidents are rear end shunts
- A quarter of all accidents are caused by one vehicle driving across another vehicles priority
- Around a sixth of all accidents involve a loss of directional control.

It's a good book to read, even if only for the first chapter on perception and attitudes to risk and how that considerably affects your chance of having an accident.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roadcraft-Essential-Police-Drivers-Handbook/dp/0117021687/

Calpol":3q3l55f3 said:

Cool. Stay within the speed limit and 5% fewer accidents. Implies that slower driving could equal even fewer accidents except, of course, there are those that would argue someone else's slower speed was the cause of their accident because they were "forced" to overtake. But then the act of overtaking is rooted in wanting to drive faster so back to speed being a cause of accidents.

Back