3018 vs 3020

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerJSJ

Established Member
Reaction score
I've seen reference to model types for CNC of 3018 and 3020 from various suppliers - what is the significance of this numbering system?

Its usually an abbreviation of the work area,30 X 18 cm or 30 X 20 cm.Normally assembled from extrusions of slender size and held together by plastic brackets and supplied with about as much power as an electric toothbrush.Not a terrible way to learn the basics,but not a great way to produce a pile of parts.

Ok - thanks. So are you also saying that all 3018/3020 models (for example the Genmitsu 3020-ProMax V2) are not worth considering as a hobbyist/beginner (on paper it looks OK)?

It could be a valuable way to learn the fundamentals of CNC work as it will require the same processes to be understood as any other machine.It won't be producing large piles of parts or removing a great deal of material in a hurry.It doesn't have the power or rigidity for that sort of thing.They can even be used to make parts for a larger and more capable machine once the specifics of the next step become apparent.Definitely a better machine than the really basic devices that use unsupported rods to carry the axes and which only have 100 watts or so to drive the spindle and steppers, which are best described as marginal, to propel a flimsy gantry around a work envelope of similar size.If you have a local model engineering society or makerspace with an example you could witness in action it might be of help in making a decision.I would expect that should you ever wish to trade up it would find new home and perhaps you might look out for somebody doing just that to help you on your way.There is an amount of real life knowledge if you seek out www.cnczone.com or MYCNCUK .My experience is primarily with machines having ten times the power and my own hobby machine has a small router-600W-for a spindle,with NEMA 23 steppers.I'd like a more powerful spindle and one day may get one.

Thanks again for your input. I'm primarily interested in one for woodwork - looking for a new toy rather than just doing woodturning!

Back