3d print query - bonded print faces

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lard

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd like your thoughts/advice please.

I use Tinkercad for my modelling........I've noticed that if, when modelling, I place the flat face of an object up against another flat face (ie the distance between them is zero) the final printed model will quite easily allow me to detach those faces from one another (I hope that makes sense).

I'm wondering if, perhaps, I've simply forgot to group both of those objects together before printing or would that not make any significant difference?

To compensate I now tend to make one face sink 'into' the other face by a mil or two to ensure they 'bond'.

I'm also wondering if I'm missing a trick and there's a setting that ensures 'separate' entities that touch are fully bonded.

Any thoughts?

Ta

Probably not grouped.

I change the colour of one of the parts to yellow or a different colour. The contrast makes it much easier to see the gap or lack of it. I also turn the grid spacing off or right down to 0.1mm.

I'm also wondering if I'm missing a trick and there's a setting that ensures 'separate' entities that touch are fully bonded.

There is a big logical contradiction in what you say.

Separate things that touch are still separate things.

When you put your dinner plate on the table, at the end of the meal when you want to send it for washing up, you do not pick up the table and (now empty) plate as a single unit.

A distance of zero is a valid and very useful distance - you could use it for print-in-place hinges and such like. In the early days of 3D printing, a common object was an adjustable spanner that required no assembly of the three pieces. That would be very difficult to make in the same way if touching pieces automatically stuck together.

Thanks for the replies.
Although I've been printing for a few years I've never attempted to print anything that has 'moving/moveable' parts within it (never needed to). Even so, I have wondered about whether or not such adjacent/combined parts would need to be set apart at something like 0.1mm for them to be moveable. I've always assumed that 0.00 would be construed as a fixed item. If I've ever wanted something to be able to be 'releasable' (if that makes sense) I've always set it at 0.01 and allowed cura to provide support, given that it's that flimsy enough to be easily removed.

My initial question was simply to seek some thought on distances of 0mm as, for no real reason, I have left the odd model as individual objects (instead of grouping them) prior to printing. It was only a thought as I tend to group everything anyway although over time I've tended to ensure strong bonds by getting into a habit of slightly sinking one into another.......what you're telling me is that I don't need to do this as grouping them together does the same.
👍

Back