3 point tool video

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't even know there was a tool like that. :!:
Good video though. :D
Where do you find all these clips etc.Every time i do a search keep on getting the same old items :roll: :roll:
Also good example of what i meant earlier about resting the back of my fingers on the rest,you couldn't do that with round bar could you. :?
Paul.J

It's an easy one to make for yourself... made my first one from an old sharpening steel... currently in the process of ginding one up from 1/2" HSS... slow job but I don't want to blue it :wink:

finding the video clip was just luck... trawling around when I get bored :lol:

Also good example of what i meant earlier about resting the back of my fingers on the rest,you couldn't do that with round bar could you.

I usually rest the index finger... nudged up under the front of the bar... doesn't really matter how you do it as long as you are comfortable and safe :wink:

If you fancy making a skewchigouge as well there's some good detail here:
http://www2.woodcraft.com/pdf/77B87.pdf

note that it's a pdf... reason I mention that is that my 'puter used to have a brain fart when opening pdfs :lol:

Hi Graham

I have seen this tool before and have had it in mind to make one for myself.

I would like to know if the flat faces on the cutting edge are flat or curved and how long is the tool part.

Thanks Colin

Colin C":2nik6dgs said:
Hi Graham

I have seen this tool before and have had it in mind to make one for myself.

I would like to know if the flat faces on the cutting edge are flat or curved and how long is the tool part.

Thanks Colin

On my first one (two :wink: ) I broke the sharpening steel in two which gave me two different diameters... both ended up about 100mm (4") long not including the tang.
The latest one will be about 150+mm (6"+) again, not including the tang.

Silver steel is relatively cheap so I'd suggest trying 9mm before investing in HSS.

The flat faces are concave... just how much depends on whether you're using a 6" or 8" grinding wheel... they could be honed flat but I've never bothered :wink:

Thanks, Graham:
That is the tool I was using to form the bead foot on my square plate. I have had it for a while but hadn't really used it enough to be confident with it. I seem to remember getting some rather nasty catches with it the first couple of times I tried it, but the video showed me what I was doing wrong.

Bob

Thanks Graham

I was thinking about Silver steel as Tilgear do it 8-[ , so I guess I wil have to go down there. dame :roll: :D

Note to self, leave most of my money at home and the cards =P~ :^o :wink:

Excellent link,Graham - thanks :D

Had been thinking about getting one anyway,but you've helped convince me that it really is versatile.

Andrew

Coudn't you use a big old long screwdriver to make this tool,or wouldn't the steel be upto the job.
Just that i've got a few and thought that would do.
Paul.J.

Never tried it meself but I've heard that chrome vanadium screwdrivers make passable tool steel...

My understanding is that the averagescrewdriver tip is of a different temper... the shaft may need to be re-tempered if you grind away the tip...

Over to the engineers amongst us ... before I inadvertently reveal just how much I don't know.. :lol:

Oldsoke wrote
My understanding is that the average screwdriver tip is of a different temper

Graham,that was my understanding of a screwdriver,just the tips are hardened,but i've tested the one driver all the way up using an hacksaw blade,and it seems pretty hard to me.So i will give it a go tomorrow and let you know.This is an old screwdriver.
Paul.J.

I made something like that out of a very long masonry nail. Find it reall useful for doing those little places that I can't get a normal gouge into. Hadn't thought of using it like in the video. Must have a go.

Pete

Back