3 phase convertor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bliuebird

Established Member
Reaction score
Very much a novice when it comes to electrics , I'm hoping some of the more intelligent members could help me out .

I'm considering buying a wadkin ags 10 3 phase and a 3 phase convertor , attached is the info plate from the motor and the convertor that I'm currently looking at .
Would this work ? And also I know it's a 5 hp convertor so does that mean that I can connect another machine ? 2ph

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 1,270
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 1,271
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 1,270
I wired up my converter to a socket so if I buy other 3 phase Machinery I can plug them into the converter. as I work mostly alone as a hobby I can only use one machine at a time.

just be aware my converter is similar but smaller than the one u have listed it states that can only be run continually for ten minutes at a time. this isn't that big an issue for me as its a bandsaw and I use it mostly for quick cuts or removing waste ect.

not able to say if it will work or not for you as I got mine with the bandsaw I bought.

bliuebird":28v7k6t2 said:
Very much a novice when it comes to electrics , I'm hoping some of the more intelligent members could help me out .

I'm considering buying a wadkin ags 10 3 phase and a 3 phase convertor , attached is the info plate from the motor and the convertor that I'm currently looking at .
Would this work ? And also I know it's a 5 hp convertor so does that mean that I can connect another machine ? 2ph

i'm no expert but i'm doing the research at the moment to convert a Startrite 275 3 phase to run on single phase. I will post my finding shortly to look for advice. But looking at your inverter, i might be reading it wrong but doesn't is say 3 phase input and 3 phase output.

What you need if using domestic supply is a single phase input and 3 phase output. I'm looking at Ivertek and Newton Tesla at present. So far it looks cheaper to buy an inverter than replace the motor to single phase.

Check out these other treads. One of them has a link to a PDF "Use of Induction Motors In The Home Workshop" by R C Minchin. Its excellent and got me from zero knowledge to at least an understanding of what all the detail on the motor stamp you posted is for.
topic90119.html
topic20930.html
topic66355.html
topic77410.html

Can't remember which one its in but if you go through them you will find it. Its very helpful. When i'm done with my findings i will post them as its a very common request on here.

I think i know which one i'm going to go with, next problem is to work out what wire goes where #-o

bliuebird":5zhbkpbp said:
...I'm considering buying a wadkin ags 10 3 phase and a 3 phase convertor , attached is the info plate from the motor and the convertor that I'm currently looking at .

A couple of points that immediately show up:-

• According to the figures on the data plate the Motor is single voltage (nominal 400v) and needs a 400 volt 3 ph. supply or internal modification to bring out the star points to run it in delta for 240volt operation.

It is not safe to run two motors simultaneously off an electronic convertor, the feedback controlling voltages from each motor could wreck the invertor.

Also a word of caution, most electronic convertors require the motor to be permanently connected when powered up, they should never be run without the motor load on all three lines.

If it was a pillar drill you might get away with running it on single phase and a phase shifting capacitor, this configuration may not provide adequate power for a saw though.

Thanks for all your info but all this is just going over my head and I'm none of the wiser

bliuebird":3vzh919i said:
Thanks for all your info but all this is just going over my head and I'm none of the wiser

It was the same with me, but if you read through the PDF that i posted a link to a few times it starts to make sense. I emailed Motor control Warehouse www.motorcontrolwarehouse.co.uk on Friday afternoon and to my surprise they emailed me straight back at post 8pm on the same Friday. They deserver my trade for that sort of response time.
Basically i emailed the motor plate and asked them which inverter would work, they sent it right back. So basically for circa £200 i can get my Startrite working. Bargain.

bliuebird":1njdimpt said:

Does this answer your question:-

• 1. The Motor needs 400 volt 3 ph. supply.
    2. The convertor you show only provides 240v 3ph supply,
    3. You can't connect two motors to a single electronic convertor safely at the same time.

I would have thought swapping to a single phase motor would be easier, cheaper and quicker.?

Monkey Mark":1yk7fi04 said:
I would have thought swapping to a single phase motor would be easier, cheaper and quicker.?

Buy a new single phase motor, plus new NVR switch and pulley wheel as the shaft on older and newer models are different. Circa £600. Single phase 2HP

New Inverter, wire the old motor straight into it. Use all the old switches etc (fingers crossed anyway) £200.

Thanks .
The thing that confused me was that In the ebay description it says 240v - 415v .
I didn't Evan read the actual info on the convertor and took his work for it .
So basically if I buy a 240v to 415v 3 ph 3 phase convertor that will be good ?
CHJ":3tbdzjbl said:
bliuebird":3tbdzjbl said:

Does this answer your question:-

• 1. The Motor needs 400 volt 3 ph. supply.
    2. The convertor you show only provides 240v 3ph supply,
    3. You can't connect two motors to a single electronic convertor safely at the same time.

bliuebird":1wmstgld said:
.....So basically if I buy a 240v to 415v 3 ph 3 phase convertor that will be good ?

You must make sure it is Single Phase input and Three Phase output.

The label on the one you show is Three Phase input as well as output.

kinsella":14nz56mp said:
Monkey Mark":14nz56mp said:

Buy a new single phase motor, plus new NVR switch and pulley wheel as the shaft on older and newer models are different. Circa £600. Single phase 2HP

New Inverter, wire the old motor straight into it. Use all the old switches etc (fingers crossed anyway) £200.

That £600 seems very high to me. You can easily get a single phase motor for under £200, if the contactor is a well known brand such Mem you can get away with just replacing the coil for a quarter of the price or just buy a new one from Aptc or Machine mart etc. Pulleys are also quite cheap as well, plenty of suppliers out there. You would need to buy a length of flex for it, it you didnt have any spare lying around. Very doable and less complex.

Mike

Latest posts

Back