3.7 K.W. single phase motors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desmo11225

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All
As I said earlier, I'm a metal man really [Welding] but in retirement have enjoyed helping a young carpenter/joiner, he is moving to a new workshop [Buying it] but there is no 3 Phase.
He has 2 saws a Startrite Tilt Arbour Panel Saw and a Powerful Bench Saw with a 7.5 H.P motor 3 Phase, we have been looking at a couple of 3.7K.W. 3000 RPM 5 HP Single Phase motors, would these be suitable to run these saws ????????
We have looked at Converters/ Inverters and putting 3 Phase into the new workshop but it's too expensive just now[ All spare cash going on new buildings].
Any advice and experiences would be very helpful
. Thank You All in advance
desmo11225

No expert here by any means, but a 3.7kw motor giving 5hp should be plenty powerfull enough for most things, maybe require bigger if he is planning some seriously big stuff.

Has he looked at the price of 5hp single phase motors, you won't get much change out of £700 with both motors and associated starters, he might as well make the leap and get a proper converter.

Thank You Mark b and Andy RV
The 3.7 K.W. 5 H.P. 3000 R.P.M motors are £197.80 From MM Engerneering, these look to be the best ones, thats each of course plus I think £ 12.50 postage, there are cheaper motors but they are 4 H.P and 3H.P 2800 R.P.M and 2700 R.P.M from £ 162.00 to £ 119.00 respectively.
That's between £ 400 odd to £300 odd the pair, that's the attraction!!!!! but will they do the job gent's???????
Thank's once again for replies
desm11225

Don't see why they won't work, the bigger saw won't have the same power as before but a 5hp motor will still have some guts. You'll probably have to knock up some mounting adapter plates and might need to machine the pulleys if the shaft is a different size.

The Bear":1qbpai12 said:
Out of interest, what sort of amp do these draw?

Mark

The OP should ensure that the electrical installation in the workshop will be man enough to start such a huge motor.
I can see starting currents being 40 or more amps and worse in cold weather.
An upgrade may be needed and type c breakers fitted with the lower earth impedance that these will require.
Consulting a electrician who has motor expertise would be my first step before spending out on motors.
Alternatively, an inverter will give a gentle start and possibly run on your existing supply.

I've got a 3kw motor on a type c 25amp breaker which is ok so a 32a type c would probably do it.

Back