29.02.2016 - leap year - should this day be a bank holiday?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Make today (29th of February) a bank holiday?

• Yes

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 18 60.0%

• Total voters
I disagree about it being an expensive day. You account for it within the salary. Every employer is in the same boat so you're not loosing out to competition. You know all the bank holidays in advance so you know how many hours and employee works a year therefore you know what it costs for an hour of their labour. So therefore that your hourly cost of you are making something or selling a service. Why don't employers see the benefits!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisR":2pqwfm7e said:
If it is a company/contractor that has to provide twenty four hour, seven day a week service cover, then all bank holidays and weekends are a pain in the ass, having to change duty shifts around etc. Been there done it have the tee shirt.

Now retired so don’t have to worry, but feel for those that do. :(

So a no vote for yet another disruption to the work pattern. :evil:

Take care.

Chris.
Understandable. It would be difficult for the managers to make the schedule, but what about the employees?
I am a pro work man myself and I believe in hard work, but in order for the employees to work hard, they need to be happy and have enough energy. Maybe an extra day off will help with this?

Graham Orm":314rabvk said:
I've been self employed all my working life since I came out of my apprenticeship. Never understood bank holidays. What are they for? When I was an employer it messed the month up. Abolish them all.
yes Graham, but being self-employed means that you can take a holiday whenever you want (in limits of course, so your business can carry on). For employees it's more difficult to do.

DiscoStu":2en5hi2z said:
I'm working under contract on a daily rate so I don't get paid for bank holidays or any holidays but I do get paid for working on the 29th Feb! One day every four years is a bonus. However it's my choice to take the contract nobody put a gun to my head and the same is true of self employed. Would having one day every 4 years as a bank holiday really be so painful to people! Let's cheer up the country!

That's the spirit! (hammer)
Based on everyone's comments, I am guessing there are pros and cons and it depends on your role as an employer or an employee.

Emanuel":2kapfr5y said:
Graham Orm":2kapfr5y said:
I've been self employed all my working life since I came out of my apprenticeship. Never understood bank holidays. What are they for? When I was an employer it messed the month up. Abolish them all.
yes Graham, but being self-employed means that you can take a holiday whenever you want (in limits of course, so your business can carry on). For employees it's more difficult to do.

I can take a day off, but I don't get paid. 8)

They're pretty pointless.

If we're to get an additional holiday every four years or so it should be polling day.

Just to announce the results of the vote: The ukworkshop community says NO to having another bank holiday (63% of people voted NO) (I realise that this generalisation is quite over the top, but those were the votes and we can't dispute them, can we? :) ) (hammer)

Water-Mark":301yc8bu said:
They're pretty pointless.

If we're to get an additional holiday every four years or so it should be polling day.

Now there's an idea - increasing the franchise base can only benefit democracy.

BugBear

We need more convenient ways to vote. If online voting is considered too radical we at least should be able to vote in person in any location not just our consituency/ward. Or make it easier to use a postal vote.

If you're happy with things the way they are and don't mind somebody else changing them then there's no need to vote.

mseries":l9so6bjf said:
We need more convenient ways to vote. If online voting is considered too radical we at least should be able to vote in person in any location not just our consituency/ward. Or make it easier to use a postal vote.
That would be preferable. The thing is that unless this is proposed to the government, there's nothing that we can do.
Also, I created this poll only out of curiosity.

DiscoStu":2e59191u said:
What vote? I never voted! I'm all in favour of a bank holiday.

DiscoStu. there's a Poll at the beginning of this thread. You can vote there.

Back