2000 watt load on 1mm cable?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krismusic

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I know that this is not a woodwork question but I am hoping that one of the members on here can tell me. I am fitting lights to an exhibition stand. 8 x 500watt divided between two supplies. Therefore each run is going to supply 2000watts. Is 1mm flex sufficient to connect them ? Many thanks in advance.

I presume the lights are running on 240v mains?

If so 2kW is a bit over 8 amps.

1mm^2 cable is a bit light. Best to use at least 1.5mm^2

Bob

Yup, 240v. I thought 1mm could take 11 amps? Overated is probably safest. I have bought the 1mm but maybe I should buy some 1.5. :(

I should have looked it up rather than relying on memory!

1.0mm^2 3 core flexible cable is OK for 10amps according to RS.

Apologies

Bob

At 500 watts, the heat generated by the lamps will probably require the use of heat resistant cable locally.
Depending on the cable run length you may need to increase cable cross section to allow to allow for voltage drop.

JohnB

Conductor Size Current Maximum power (Watts)
1.0 mm2 10 amps Up to 2400 Watts
1.25 mm2 13 amps Up to 3120 Watts
1.5 mm2 15 amps Up to 3600 Watts
2.5 mm2 20 amps Up to 4800 Watts
4.0 mm2 25 amps Up to 6000 Watts

I expect you have a drum of cable so if you have volt drop problems make the feed into a ring so thats two cables at the feed end, each feed the current will be shared so its like a 2sq mm feed.

OLD":xvezx96a said:
I expect you have a drum of cable so if you have volt drop problems make the feed into a ring so thats two cables at the feed end, each feed the current will be shared so its like a 2sq mm feed.

Thats interesting Old, so if I have a lead out to my workshop (I think its 6mm cable with about 50 ft run, could I double up the same as mentioned above?

Yes. i feed my shop with 2x 2.5mm t&e cable as i got machinery i added the extra cable.They are between the two distribution boards so share the feed current.

Thanks Old, but how do I get two 6mm cables into a screwed connection
At the consumer board and at the switchboard shed end?

Back