1st turning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suprasport

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok i know it is nothing and boring etc. but i did promise to show you my first attempt on the lathe :lol:

so after 15 minutes with a bit of cls i ended up with this

1.jpg

2.jpg

what else is cls good for :lol:

I have a lot to learn starting with speeds and which chisel does what :?

it set at medium which i am presuming is about 2000rpm the lathe goes from 760 to 3200rpm
there you go i have fulfilled my promise now dont laugh to hard :cry:

:-#

Don't worry mate, I am not much further on than you. What you are doing is the best way to learn. Get some scrap wood and just practice tool techniques, coves, beads etc. Theres not much point in practicing on the legs for a walnut table you're building, as mistakes could be costly.

I wood recommend this book for anyone starting out in woodturning. It has helped me enormously

cheers slim, i have that book in my watched items on ebay it finishes tommorrow and is on £7 at mo with no bids, i think it was you that recommended it in another topic :wink:

keep off the bidding you lot :lol:

I've got that book to on on initial glances it looks good .......... when the DIY finished and got the Lathe out of the dinning room I'll be having a closer look

Hello Suprasport and welcome to the world of turning.
Looks good for your first attempt.
All i can say is keep practising for now and enjoy.
Paul.J.

Hi,
If that is your first turning you are well on your way to addiction. I started with bits of pine and was told that if I could get a good finish on pine I was doing OK. Get a piece of wood on your lathe, look at it a lot and ask yourself, "what can I make with that" then go for it. It's an upward learning curve but a downward slope. Just being able to get something that's round and smooth and feels good is really worthwhile in itself. Plenty of real experts on here to give you tips and advice so ask away, and no-one laughs 'cos they have all been there themselves.

cheers everyone, i dont know if its cheating or not but i did rub it with sandpaper on the lathe once i thought it was flat enough ? what speed would you set the athe at for say the cls above or hardwoods for small objects ?
i have tons more questions about the chisels but i will have a read up on them first. the pointed one has baffled me so far it doesnt seem very sharp and very wide if it is just for small line work.

If you have the Perform chisel set,I'm guessing you mean the parting tool - used for things like cutting through timber mounted between centres,or held in the chuck by a spigot.
As for lathe speeds,the smaller the diameter of the piece,generally the faster you can go with it,as the important bit is how fast the timber is going at the point where it meets the chisel (although it is also affected by balance,which is sometimes to do with the shape,but can also be affected by where knots are in a piece of timber); there should be no real difference in speed between softwood and hardwood - it just affects how often you need to sharpen your chisels :wink:

Andrew

P.S. - welcome to "the slope"...

Thanks for the welcome to the slippery side. yes thatw as the one ie. the parting tool, it makes sense now.
cheers :wink:
OMG dont mention sharpening them i have only just got used to sharpening planer blades and bevel edge again since school. i looked at the gouge today and thought OH NO!

Latest posts

Back