1st turning attempt

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Alan Parsons, as a project that worked out very well [SORRY, couldn't resist] that looks fine.

The main fault is the visible turning marks on the inside.

Most will also suggest the wall should be thinner for aesthetic reasons. This can be alluded to by tapering toward the rim.

As for the two days, irrelevent unless it's a business or it puts you off.

Very good job for a first effort.

As one of the other newbies I say keep up the good work. at least its round and dished which is more than i managed trying to turn end grain.

monkeybiter":36xrflod said:
Well Alan Parsons, as a project that worked out very well [SORRY, couldn't resist]
The grain almost looks like an eye in the sky..... :mrgreen:

Nowt wrong with that as a first attempt mate. Keep it up.

Thanks for all the nice comments, and the funny ones! even though I have no idea who the Alan Parsons project are (I am 36!)

The wood is just a piece of cheap ash I bought nothing expensive for practising on.

Can anyone give me some pointers on getting the inside edging smoother?

Cheers

alanjparsons":2dkddv9c said:
T

Cheers

I'm a bit of a newby myself - but I've found that as you get towards the end if you can do a light cut or two in one movement, sweeping all the way from the inside to the outside or vice versa, that really really helps. If you have a scraper, and are happy to use it (not suggestion you shouldn't be!) it can really be a help too.

Brian.

alanjparsons":jq2qc1hr said:

Cheers

If you aim to make a smooth, sweeping curve from rim to centre of the base, you will , be able to keep the bevel of the gouge rubbing all the way through the cut. This will help to avoid the circular scrape marks as the gouge makes the sharp transition from sides to bottom. Generally I find it it better to avoid flat bottomed bowls, both for the above reason and for aesthetic reasons. Sharp tools will also help
This all takes practice, of course and you've made a great start. Keep it up!

Ian

johnny.t.":23exug5s said:
alanjparsons":23exug5s said:

Practise :D , simple as that!

Every time you make something you will improve, keep making and you will keep improving.
And whilst you are achieving better tool control and knowledge there's nothing wrong with some 80 grit abrasive to blend out the tool marks, just be careful not to remove any sharp detail.
No one will know on the finished item and if you achieve a good finish on every item viewers can only give you full marks for finish regardless of whether they like the form etc.

you have less lines than my one and have you burnt your finger yet with the sanding

from fellow newbie
ps alan parsons project was a rock band but i had to google it

Nice effort For A first bowl I Think Its as good as Any of mine at That Stage All mine Did was light the Chimera ............LOL keep Up the good Work Take on board all the comments Keep Your Chin Up and don't give in
Regards
Bill

Latest posts

Back