1st post by newbie about a Myford wood planer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

filthyphil

Reaction score
Hi newbie here I have a shed workshop just building up my machinery/tools.

I have a chance of a myford ml8 wood planer attachment [but as yet not got the lathe] so was wondering if it's possible to add a motor to make it a stand alone unit?

Also want to know peoples thoughts on this item?

Thanks.

Welcome

Anything is possible! My gut feeling is that unless you have a suitable motor and the wherewithal to install it, then there are better solutions such as picking up a used P/T. Have a look in the for sale section - it should not take long for one to appear.

Bob

Hi, Thanks for the reply 9fingers. I was hoping that could be the case. I was thinking that this may be better than most modern p/t as it being a cast iron bed [but still in a tight budget] would be ideal.

Here is the plan for my workshop. My workspace is at the moment a 12x8 shed but aiming at making it 16x8 so need to keep things as small and compact as possible. I have a small table saw which I intend setting it in a larger bench to make it a little bigger [and with on casters] I will also put in a router in under the bench then upgrade the rip fence to do both of them. I'm also adding extraction for the dust/chippings so space is at a premium.

I have a ML8 which came with the P/T attachment.
It's very small and the reviews on it were very poor - I've never used it but think it's not really worth the bother?

Rod

Welcome Phil!

I'm with Bob on this one and as Rod said...the ML8 attachment does not get good reviews..I think that most attachments for lathes are a poor cousin to the real thing.

Space being at a premium...I would seriously consider getting a bandsaw and tuning it up to do ripping and trimming jobs...crosscutting and rough sizing stock. I find I use mine FAR more than the tablesaw...which is fine for panels and other jobs...but if I had to get rid of one..it would be the TS.

Mine is only a DW749 which is a mid-end machine...but with the right blade and setup it does some amazing things. The footprint is far smaller and it can be slid back into a corner when not in use (which for me is so rare I never move it from centre stage!)

There are a huge number of fine old machines on FleaBay...for next to nothing...worth considering!

Anyway...enjoy your stay with the forum...nice guys and gals here...I am sure you will enjoy yourself and learn an immense amount!

Jim

Thanks Harbo and jimi43 for your replies much appreciated and thanks for the welcome :) .

my table saw cost me nothing thanks to freecycle :D only thing was it didn't have a mitre gauge but for free 8) . it is a small draper saw but works got it cutting reasonably good and made a cross cut sled for it.

sounds good the bandsaw but want the ability to cut 8x4 ply/mdf etc though won't rule that out looks a good piece of kit.

hoping to find a good [but cheap] planer so I could attempt to make some furnishing projects like the idea of a lathe for wood/metal too but one step at a time lol.

So which p/t would be good thats on a cheap budget? [theirs a beautiful planer near me that would be awesome but alas don't have £349.00 for it's starting price and it's a bit heavy so would need a team to lift it lol].

Ah ha! the old bandsaw Vs table saw debate pops up again.
For the woodwork I do - hobby jobs various, my precious cabinet saw would be the last machine out the door. I have a very solid bandsaw with good capacity but it does not see much action.

If you are cutting ply sheets all the time then clearly the table saw is the only way to go...(machine-wise)....

I find the bandsaw is one of the most versatile machines you can have...I have two! I was just saying this week that the second one...a tiny three-wheeled Burgess BK1 which I found at a bootfair for a tenner...was destined for the resale pile but I put a new blade on it...from Ian at Tuffsaws and the darn thing is a gem to use!

I have been cutting beading from solid oak up to 3/4" with a 1/4" blade would you believe...and no fence or guide either...just follow the line by hand.... There is no wander...perfect clean cut...very little cleanup needed. It amazed me!

Jim

See what I mean Phil! :roll:

I don't do much sheet work but I cut virtually all my wood on the tablesaw as well as most of my tenons.
It is a wood milling machine.
I cut more metal on my bandsaw than wood.
I'm not saying Jim is wrong, I have every respect for his opinions but everyone to their own :lol:

Bob

8) Thanks for the heads up for bandsaw v's tablesaw . I see what you guy's mean and understand both their uses [ =P~ might get a bandsaw some day to]. But for now the planer is 1st on the list to make stock flat for joining together for panels etc.

So is their a top ten of sorts for working out a good reasonably priced planer for a tight budget?

Plus need to know where to put [my introduction post] more info on what I got and a little of my background to give you guys an idea on who and what I am about. As I understand that it can be weird chatting to a person on a forum with no clue about them. And think that your chatting with a knowledgeable chap of considerable years and find it's a teenager lol [or the other way round not that thats a problem lol] :lol:

Oh and hail Norm :norm: lol [just watching his programs and lust for the machines if only I had the money to match lol]

Ah! Norm is the second contentious issue round here! He is woodworkers Marmite! :lol: :lol:

This little P/T gets good reviews here axminster-mb9020-benchtop-planer-thicknesser-mini-review-t41861.html
but there is still evidence of some 'friday' machines being sold so buying from a reputable supplier like Axi who will exchange duds if needed is a good plan.

As a rough rule of thumb, I would suggest only buy new imported machines as above or buy secondhand British cast iron which usually with minimal fettling will do a super job and last forever. Depends if you want to do any restoration or just plane wood straight out of the box.

hth

Bob

Latest posts

Back