19th Century Welsh Lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have just found this thread and hopefully read it correctly. I suspect that the flat belt originally would have come from a pulley above the lathe. From my limited experience of seeing them and using flat belts on thrashing machines, saw benches and hay driers they are inefficient at transferring energy. For that reason small motors that are used with v belts would not be adequate unless an arrangement for tensioning the flat belt is installed and that would require considerable space.
Russell

ohowson":38hhf8za said:
1.5 years since the last post - I wonder how the resto is going?

For my 2p worth, I'd probably get a motor from a mobility scooter or something like that and either power it from a battery and recharge regularly, or invert mains to 12/24v as required.
No progress, been distracted with other projects and now a move. It is coming with me so hopefully have something to report at some point. Still stuck on the motor arrangment mostly where to set a power system from, think I want it to be mains powered... it just be more useful that way.

Back