19mm dowel ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewC

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm building a hinge which needs a wooden hinge pin. This is a fairly hefty piece and the pin needs to be pretty big. Got everything shaped, drilled out a 19mm diameter hole for the pin (I had a 19mm forstner bit), went down to the local shop and hit a brick wall - no 19mm dowel. They jump straight from 18mm to 22mm. Hmmm, what are standard dowel sizes ? Is it a waste of time looking in different places ? Anyone know where I could mail order about 15cm of 19mm dowel ?

Grumpy Andrew

I know Axminster's shop in Bobbing sell all manner of different sized dowels, but I can't find them on their website.

You could try to make you own on the router table? It's quite simple.

Why not ask a nice friendly woodturner to make you one?....any particular English Hardwood you'd prefer?

Chris.

I'd do it another way.

Find an old bit of steel plate about 4 or 5 mm thick and drill a 19mm hole through it. Then take your piece of wood and hand-plane it very roughly into a cylinder shape slightly larger in diameter than 19mm.

Then, holding the steel plate in a vice or screwing it down to a bench, simply bash the wood through the hole with a big mallet.

A light sand et voila!

A length of 19mm dowel.

Cheers
Dan

I don't know how many times you have done this Dan but a dowel plate would not produce the precision hinge pin Andrew requires for his project. However it is a very crude yet effective way of making short dowels used for pining joints.

I know it's a bit late in the day and not very helpful, but I would have got the dowel before drilling the hole!

LG

Back