180 Degree Turns

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudman

Established Member
Reaction score
Trying to stay in one piece in South Wales
Hi all,

Glad to see the forum is up and running. :)

In another thread, BobD was explaining about 180 degree turns and then coming back out of your original cut as a good training technique.

I was doing some of these as part of exercise one from Nelson's Scrollsaw Workbook and as I did them I was wondering if I was twisting the blade and maybe contributing to the high number of blades that broke on me.
Is there any special technique for making the turn or do you just spin it (slowly) around the blade.

First, I suggest you use a #5 blade for this practice; finer than that breaks too easily!

Lets assume that you are making a 180-degree turn clockwise (my direction of choice since I'm right handed). I plant the index finger of my left hand on the wood about 1/4" from the blade. That becomes the pivot point for me. Then pull the wood back very slightly ( a fraction of a mm) and use your pivot point to lock it in place. Quickly rotate the wood and cut back out. My first 10 or so had a teardrop-shaped hole where I rotated, but with practice you get the hang of it.

As you rotate, you are lightly pulling the wood back into the back of the blade...just enough to help the teeth clear the wood.

After I cut the grid, I spent a couple hours just cutting that same exercise from John's book...it gets boring, but it really pays off! Just keep practicing!

Bob

Bob,

Thanks for the reply. I'll give it another go.

I intend to have a few more goes at the first exercise as although I was pleased with my efforts, the exercise really highlights where you need to improve.

I'll also give your grid exercise a go as well and let you know how I get on.

Many thanks,

Barry,
Another good exercise is to free-hand cut a stair step pattern...it's good practice to make sure you are getting tight corners, and it works on your straight line cutting...just to mix things up so you don't get too bored with one exercise!

Bob

Barry,

I had all sorts of trouble with this when I started off, but I found the key for me was to rest the heel of my left hand on the table, and use my left index finger as the pivot point.

By resting your hand on the table, it makes it much easier to keep the work piece still while you spin it about the blade (if you see what I mean).

Of course, life gets more complicated when you have a piece of wood that is so large that it takes up the whole table - I am still working on that one!

Regards

Gary

Latest posts

Back