16mm SWA bare or conduit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazurus

Established Member
Reaction score
So the workshop is coming along I dug the trench for the power feed from main CB in bungalow and the sparky came and dropped the SWA in, he laid it straight in the trench for me to back fill, now I had purchased suitable twin wall conduit but sparks said as it was only under a patio and not a drive way or near other services conduit not required. Do you think it is worth re laying in the conduit (trench still open) or just leave as is?

If you have it in the conduit and have a problem in the future the cable can be removed/repaired/replaced , otherwise you would have to dig your trench all over again. You already have paid for the conduit ,so you might as well use it , the extra safety provided can only be a bonus :)

As Mark says. While the trench is open adding conduit is trivial. Once filled, any repairs, additions or changes become a big and costly task. Get conduit(s) in now. Even if only some farmers alcathene pipe, you never know when you may want to pull in an ethernet data cable, wired burglar alarm, or whatever. Never mind upgrade repair of the power cable.

Agree with okey-dokey, leave an empty conduit in the trench with a couple of draw strings. SWA buried to the correct depth in a non hostile environment isnt going to be a problem. if it gets broken by digger or whatever, the conduit isn’t going to save it.

Latest posts

Back