UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's expensive but you could also switch to the festool centrotec system. They do a centrotec chuck that will fit in a regular drill chuck. It is very easy to use and has a number of inter changeable bits from Forstners to twist and spur drill bits. Axminster also do a cheaper compatible range of bits.
The festool metal twist drill bit holders allow the drill bit to be replaced so you can add your own bits after they wear out.

-Neil

How about something like this
EasyTwistFantes.jpg

There are loads of aid for people with RSI etc. In this case I just searched for lid pliers

You could even make one, small plank with a hole same size as chuck OD then cut a slot in it so when you grip the handle it clamps the chuck.

I expect you know all this but for the benefit of others ....

Most drill chucks have a standard thread often marked on the outside of the chuck.
1/2" (13mm) capacity - 1/2" x 20 (UNF I think).
3/8" (10mm) capacity - 3/8" x 24 (UNF?)

So they are relatively easy to change.

Percussion drills normally have a left hand threaded screw in the centre to stop them coming loose.

One problem I have found with hand tight chucks is that on some there is not enough room to get a good grip & I have to resort to using a pair of waterpump pliers.

I think Naz has the right idea . I use the same type for many grip situations and find them quite useful. Never thought of them for drill chucks , but with my newly brittlized digits it can't be long now. (3 min. later) Just tried it , and if your chuck is not straight sided it is a bit fiddly but does work.

Hi Brian,
sounds like you had a Rab C Nesbit moment in the supermarket. :wink: Next time you're there keep your eyes open for the gizmo in the pic, similar to one already posted but these are one piece, flexible although the grippy bits are fim and most importantly, very cheap.

Largest aperture is around 60mm and smallest 35mm but flexible enough to handle various shapes which is useful. I don't know what the small holes are for.

It was one of the big shops probably Tesco or ASDA where I spotted them and bought 2 for £1 each, wife promptly pinched one for the kitchen and although my hands are still strong it's surprising how often I use the workshop one.

Bob

Attachments

• IMG_1455.JPG
    IMG_1455.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 82
My cheapo Hitachi drill had a rather poor quality keyless chuck that don't hold very well and gradually got worse. It wouldn't tighten properly by hand, bits would always slip. Eventually I changed the chuck to a keyed one from screwfix. The keyed chuck is excellent.
I've used decent keyless chucks (Dewalt one I had seemed to work very well), but I have to say the keyed chuck was a kind of pleasant throw back, and bit of a surprise.

Latest posts

Back