100mm Extraction Hose

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeybiter

Established Member
Reaction score
Recently I bought an Axminster AWHBS350N bandsaw, and I just got a nice RSDE2-A extractor from Chems. I need some 100mm hose for the bandsaw and for the lathe. Other tools are on smaller diameter couplings. I'm considering whether to buy a couple of metres off eBay at approx. £7/m, or to get the Axminster kit with two 3m hoses and other accessories at £57, with a view to putting a length of fall-pipe along the wall to 't-off' for other machines.

Any advice/reccomendations/suggestions would be welcome.

Don't buy the kit with the grey hose, its horrible for anything but permanent ducting. Its to rigid to switch between machines. I bought a long length of flexible hose and a pair of quick hose clamps from rutlands and its been brilliant.

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/machinery-&-a ... 22-x-20%27

In use:

I bought the clear flexible hose off e-bay and am very happy with it. I forget who was the seller or even how much it was as it was a long time ago now, but it has been great and has been swapped from machine to machine without any problems. HTH. :wink:

Is that one like the grey hose only see through Mike?

I hated the grey hose, would be excellent for static machine dust extraction but useless for what I want to do.

Chems":2kwq2fur said:
Is that one like the grey hose only see through Mike?

I hated the grey hose, would be excellent for static machine dust extraction but useless for what I want to do.

Yes it's the see through one mate. It's not bad at all, but I like the idea of the space saving one you got from Rutlands.

Cheers

Mike

Well thanks everyone for the advice, I've discounted the Axminster kit and decided to get 6m of clear stuff from eBay for approx £7/m. I'll let you know how I get on with it, although as a newbie to the strangely clean world of extraction I'll be easily impressed.

I got 6 metres of the clear stuff with steel spiral wire off ebay recently. Seller: dustspares. Came to £38, or around £47 including delivery.
I wanted clear pipe to see any blockages. Looks good so far :)

one thing i notice with all these set ups is that you tend to have different sized dust extraction on your equipment.

For my stationary machines I have:

2 at 100mm (external) planer / bandsaw
2 at 57mm (internal) router table / belt sander
1 at 40 (internal) table saw
1 at 35 (internal) reciprocating sander

then I have loads of hand machines where i can just use a graduating piece, as they vary from 22mm to 45mm

oh, and i have a makita 440, so think the hose on that is 35mm

now, i was thinking of getting the 63mm axminster kit (100 is way too big) and using some gates etc hook them all up, with auto power on when you turn on the device.

all the machines are (deliberately) placed close together, so i think with tight joints, and well positioned gates throughout, i should be ok in terms of suction power. however connecting everything up seems to be a nightmare...

the 100mm to 63mm connection comes with the kit, however is that to connect to 100mm device, or is it 100mm itself which means i need a 100mm sleeve as well, which then means two clips as well?

how do i connect a 63 hose to a 40 / 35 outlet? I can take a stepped hose reducer, however i still need to attach the 63 to the 45 (i cannot find a 63 to 35 reducer) - so just using heat shrink?

then i have to connect to 57. so i can get two 100-57 reducers, then connect the 100 to 63 reducer to that (again will i need a piece of 100mm sleeve or will they fit together - if sleeve i need also more clips and more joints = more bleed off of suction power...), or i could try and cut the hose so it fits in?

then i have how to attach the extractor, which has a 35, so i guess 35-100 and then 100-63, and then another sleeve to connect that to the 63 system....

seems like i need about 50 adaptors, clips, sleeves and connectors to hook up 6 machines. there's got to be an easier way?

Need some accessories that are "one end goes into 63 hose, the other into a 57mm tool" etc...

if anyone has done this, please let me know if you have any advice!

thanks

Dave

I'm in a similar situation now, with a 100mm extractor and hose, and tools with ports of various sizes.
Looking at the prices of adapters from the likes of Axminster, I think it's scandalous for lumps of moulded plastic.
I may fail in the execution, but I think I'm going to have a go at making a manifold and some adapters on the lathe from wood, maximising internal diameters and sealing to the hoses with duct tape.

is cooker extractor/ tumble dryer hose not strong enough?

I notice that Rutlands have a better selection for this.

they do some 2 1/2 to 2 1/4 adaptors that won't require any sleeves, they have one end going into the machine, and one with a spiral for the hose.

so that would be 10 (4") to 63 (2 1/2") sorted and 63 to 57 (2 1/4").

the only difficult one now is the vac hose to the 63 system...

regarding the last post, i would rather spend £8 on an adaptor than 2 hours making one, as time is precious and i earn more than £4 per hour :wink:

although it does all add up, i put my system at about £240 now for 6 machines....

i would rather spend £8 on an adaptor than 2 hours making one

I fully understand that, and I also earn more than £4/hr [in my 'day' job], but factoring in the potential satisfaction of working home built fittings, and the fact that I could certainly do with the turning practise, and it makes sense for me.

selly":3b1th6ao said:
is cooker extractor/ tumble dryer hose not strong enough?

Funny you should mention this. Having gone down the 'move the hose to the machine' route I suddenly realised just how much time I was wasting by plugging and unplugging. So I bit the bullet and bought a load of hose, Y-pieces and blast gates (costing a packet) only to run out. So I've put into service some white vent hose left over from the tumble dryer. So far so good.

Next step will be to open it out and see how it survives. Seems to be OK against the suck but not sure if it's thick enough to take the rough and tumble of the workshop.

Whilst reading this thread I just got an email from Rutlands with an offer of a Dakota Dust Extraction kit for £45. Spooky. Link: http://bit.ly/cgBs2n

I cannot comment on the quality nor suitability of this kit (it does seem to have the grey hose) as I frankly have no idea either way, but thought I'd put the link out for those still looking at options.

Cheers,

Charlie

I had that kit, was £99 last year thou on offer.

Its ok, but that type of hose is only good for ducting work. Its to in-flexiable to move between machines. But if a ducted system is what your doing then its a great buy.

I have just re installed my system within my shop. PVC drain pipe is not 100 mm, it's 110mm, thus 100 mm hose won't fit.
But there are ways and means.
I use a toilet pan adaptor on each end of 100 mm hose, these also will not fit over 110 mm pipe, so I cut a short length of 110 mm pipe, slit it along its length on my TS till the diameter would just fit inside the 110 mm pipework.
Some PVC cement to hold it in place and the pan adaptors now fit!
I have been using a length of good quality tumble dryer hose for three years.

Roy.

I believe that the standard soil pipe sold in France is in fact 100mm OD - so all you need is to either visit France or persuade somebody about to visit France to do you a favour.

Misterfish

I got a kit that Record sell for a cheap price secondhand. Seems to have similar stuff to the Dakaota kit but more bits in it. The platics tubes do work but as said previously they really need to be fixed along a wall otherwise it's a pain every time you change the equipment you are working to re-configure the tubing.

For more info see:
http://www.recordpower.co.uk/index....MAETER CLEAR PIPE WITH CONNECTORS AND FIXINGS

Back