10" bench saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biskit

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks :) I'm biskit a newbie on here, I'm starting a refurb on my man cave. Starting with a new bench saw I fancy the TS250 from Axminster so I can build a work station round it, other than them being on back order :roll: what advice can you give? have they had any bad revues with forum members?
thanks Bernard.

Hello biskit and welcome. I know nothing at all about the TS250, Before an owner pops up, If you enter it Axminster TS 250 in the search panel above, You'll soon find what has been said about them.
Regards Rodders

Thanks Rodders :) I have looked at the DeWalt 745 I've been told that it's got a noisy motor. Still leaning towards the TS250 :)

I have the 745. Great site saw but Thats what it is a site saw.

And yeah its very noisy. I wear ear defenders on site so doesnt bother me. I think the TS250 can be upgrade so if it also has an induction motor id go for that.

I have ordered a AX TS250 but don't know when it will be here. Jelly I have looked at that type of saw, think they might be a bit heavy to get into my shed.I have a DW742 flip saw that will have to go, I never used it much as a chop saw.
Bernard.

I took delivery of a TS 250 in November. Like Biskit I looked a all the usual suspects and the TS250 seemed to tick all my boxes. I'm sure the second hand market is a good and valid route, but lacks the instant gratification. Of driving to Axy and coming home with a new toy!
I also read all I could on this forum about the issues other people had with this saw, and so I was prepared to spend some time fettling. Perhaps I was lucky, but my saw was remarkably accurate straight out of the box. Perhaps AXY read the issues that people have had and have upped their game. I expected to have to square the blade to the slots but the gauge showed it to be fine. When I bolted the front rail on and fitted the fence, this was also true! I felt slightly dissapointed as I had built myself up to a fettling challenge, but had nothing to do! Ripping some oak and measuring the result showed an excellent cut that exceeded my expectations.
Now the bad news. I have found the dust collection to be appalling. Sure it collects some from the shroud/guard, and presumably from under the blade. However, a great deal falls under the table, and quite a lot on top of the table, escaping the overhead pickup. To attempt to counter this I am intending to floor the bottom of the saw and place another 100mm spigot in this base, and attach a second extraction hose. My extractor has the capacity to draw 2x100 mm inputs simultaneously so I am hopeful that this will solve the problem.
Overall I am delighted with this saw, and the finish from the Axcaliber blade supplied is better than I was expecting.

Biskit, Honest John was a nickname I had in my youth when I was considered by my peers to be of an honest nature! I'm still like that! My Ts250 is mounted on the Axminster stand and wheel kit. I have now slid a board under the base of the saw and screwed an AXY 100 mm spiggot to the board.. Extraction now takes place from the extraction port on the rear (which also feeds the overhead blade guard) and a second 100 mm pipe in the base. Using both extraction points has hugely improved the dust collection. I have just made 4 or 5 cross cuts and there is no debris underneath the saw and very very little on the surface of the saw table. Perhaps the internal extraction pipes on my saw are badly fitted. They do look a bit distorted. I would be interested to know how clean in use your saw is when it's set up. I checked my slot to blade alignment with a dial gauge today that I didn't have when I first set the saw up. Front to back is less than 3 thou out, so I won't be bothering to adjust that out. My fence drifts very slightly away from the blade, and that seems to me to be a safe set up and I don't intend to adjust it unless it causes problems.

Hi HJ I've had word that it's going to be early next month :? Before they arrive. I'll be back with questions no doubt. I'm not far from you, only in Rochdale. :)

Took delivery of my new TS250 yesterday, Today I've made a stand similar to the one Savvas Papasavva has on youtube.
I'd like to extend the sides a little, so off to George Hill timber merchants tomorrow. (hammer) :D

I like it, I've fitted a small right hand side extension. Today I am trying to get the dust collected a little better, blocked the rear outlet and making a base outlet, :? hope that helps, :? should finish tomorrow. :!: Oh and a ply blade plate with a hole just the width of the blade. (hammer)

After knocking up the base dust collector (roughly out of 1/2" sheathing ply) with a 63 mil outlet connected to my shop vac, :shock: dust came out from all the other gaps round the saw :( hope I can improve it when I get time, :roll: maybe on Wednesday. :wink:

Magnetic paper cut and fitted :D very pleased cause there ain't any dust worth bothering about. Also got and fitted the upgrade fence. Then went out and mowed the lawn. 8)

Back