1/4" and 1/2" router bit - What's the difference?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twodoctors

Established Member
Reaction score
As above. I've bought a secondhand Hitachi M12V router, and it does take 1/4" and 1/2" bit. Apart from the size of the shank, what's the advantage of using 1/2" over 1/4"? I'm not planning on doing any big projects... probably only doing edges and maybe use it for joints? Maybe? I'm planning on using it on a table only (for now).

Thinking about getting the Katsu hand router anyway since it's dirt cheap compared with a real Makita. Obviously that only takes 1/4" bits.

I currently have no router bits, and I found the Trend 1/2" bit 15 bit set for £25, but 1/4" 12 bit set is £29.

So which one should I buy? 1/4" so I don't have to buy another set? Or 1/2" now and get the 1/4" set for the Katsu?

Advice welcomed.

Adrian

Essentially the 1/2" is heavier and will take a heavier cut without snapping and a 1/2" router will generally be more powerful - so the bit needs to be able to handle it. 1/4" bits can be delicate so don't push em too hard.

Free handing a 1/2" router can be pretty awkward and occasionally exciting. Those little trim routers are pretty handy things to have too and yeah the bits can be had cheaply too.

Like anything - depends what you want to do with them.

Thanks.

The thing is 1/2" kit can be had cheaply... but do I "need" it? I guess you are saying 1/2" are more durable... but I'm only using it for delicate work (mostly) and might make sense to buy 1/4" so I can use it for the hand router as well...

Arrgghhhh... If only I hadn't spotted the £25 1/2" kit!

Adrian

Buy the 1/2 inch router. then whatever bit you need you can use.
you cant put a 1/2" in a 1/4" but with an adaptor you CAN put a 1/4 in a 1/2" so you can obtain old or used bits that will still work well.
My table router is a 1/2" makita, and I have cutters in 1/2", 6 mm, 8 mm, and even old 3/8". each size with their own adaptor.

I have a Hitachi M12v and a katsu both excellent routers.
1/4 inch bits do snap easily I broke 2 1/4 inch straight cut ones in an afternoon probably because I was talking to big a cut.
I think you need both sets, I find the cheap Aldi/Lidl 1/4 inch sets o/k.

Pete

I don't know Robin. It does says Trend on the box.

I'll probably buy both... £25 too cheap to ignore, while I too impatient to wait for them to arrive! :p

Adrian

twodoctors":xu0v2w19 said:
I currently have no router bits, and I found the Trend 1/2" bit 15 bit set for £25, but 1/4" 12 bit set is £29.

So which one should I buy? 1/4" so I don't have to buy another set? Or 1/2" now and get the 1/4" set for the Katsu?

Advice welcomed.

Adrian

If you can get them for that, stretch the budget and get both.

twodoctors":1jpqiqhw said:
... but I'm only using it for delicate work (mostly) and might make sense to buy 1/4" so I can use it for the hand router as well...

Arrgghhhh... If only I hadn't spotted the £25 1/2" kit!

Adrian

You have no experience of using them - you'll probably end up using them more than you think you will now.

My experience:

Bit sets - waste of time. Buy high quality bits of the profiles you will actually use. TCT is essential for any volume and consistent quality cut. But this may only apply if you do a lot of routing.

If you are snapping bits then you are being too heavy handed. In 30 years I have never snapped a bit. This is sharp steel spinning at high speed. Be careful. Wear safety glasses.

Will get both.

Haven't considered separate bit set as I haven't routed before, so not entirely sure which ones I would need/want to invest in. I thought Trend is a decent make which is why I'm getting this set and not Clarke or other not-so-famous brands. Wrong assumption?

Adrian

Certainly there will be ones you don't use - but it's not like buying a set of six turning tools then finding you never use two so negating any saving. At £25 (or even £40) for fifteen as opposed to £10 - £15 or more for one reasonable quality cutter you can afford a few you never use. You will still need to go to Wealden (or somewhere else) for different cutters as time goes on. I've (ab)used the Trend ones for years and have not had any problems with them.

I have three sets of 1/4" router bits, about 40 1/2' bits and only really use about 3 or four of the cutters out of each (convex, concave, ovalo and straight) sometimes the v is useful for simulating panel boards etc. I'd say for moulding and the like you can usually get away with 1/4" bits as you mainly take light cuts from the material and so do not put too much strain on the cutter or shank. For shaping work, worktops and grooving you may need the 1/2" shank as this type of work requires more material to be removed so greater strain on the cutter shank etc. If you want to mould panels then use 1/2" as you need to remove a fair bit of stock at times.

So I'd go for a 1/4" set so you can take advantage of the small Kastu hand held router and maybe a quality straight bit set in 1/2" for the Hatachi and heavier stuff.

I have recently used a Hitachi MV12 on a barn restoration for cutting mortices in green oak (I used 1/2" straight bits for this) and now need to do some rounding over on some 1/2" ply which I intend doing using a 1/4" concave bit.

Mark

The thing with sets of cutters is, like all sets, there are some you will never use, and some you will wear out very quickly.

So buying a cheap starter set is good because you can then move on to buying single cutters that you actually want to use.

If they are genuine than that's a cracking price and well worth buying but just because it says Trend on the box doesn't mean that's what's inside. maybe worth checking out the seller before parting with your hard earned.
I'd be tempted myself if I didn't already have a set twice the size. :oops: I also have a set of 1/4" but as AJ said there will be quite a few you never use. i think I've used maybe 5 or 6 out of a 30 bit set of 1/2".

Depends entirely on what you want to make but that also will change over time.

Adrian,

Have you considered getting an 8mm collet to fit the router? I have them for my old Elu 177e.
Generally when I need a profile that has a 1/4" shank I use my Elu MOF routers.

But I duplicated my most used 1/4" shank cutters with 8mm shank cutters, and bought 8mm collets for the big routers. So, when doing profiles in hardwood for instance, I switch to the 8mm collet and bit. Bigger bites, better finish, with far less vibration and less chance of the shank giving out. (Especially with dovetail cutters that have to be used with one bite.)

With three choices of collet for the heavier routers, I suppose I don't really need the smaller models. But hey the Elu MOF models are great little routers, and are not so leary in use.

HTH

John

Back