£50+VAT For a scribing tool? Really???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use lolly sticks and a pencil pushed through a hole made with a bradawl. Sharpen the lolly stick to a point and scribe away. Although I think I've run out of lolly sticks.

I was all ready to agree that's a crazy price but this isn't Granddad's scribing tool. I wouldn't buy one myself, but I don't think that's silly money for what appears to be a well-engineered tool with replaceable carbide blades.

What's wrong with a £1.50 compass. I've been using one for 15 years without any problems. Why over engineer something so simple.

It would be useful to a kitchen fitter, as shown, or a bedroom fitter but it wouldn't be one iota of use against stonework
or wonky brickwork.
The compass and pencil are the simplest and most efficient still.
It will have it's usual appeal to the "Magpies", Big and shiny and overpriced.
Regards Rodders

cotton reel with a pencil stuck through the hole is what my old dad taught me to use.
Its pretty silly person proof as I have confirmed many a time.

pcb1962":2ccmngkr said:
blackrodd":2ccmngkr said:
The compass and pencil are the simplest and most efficient still.

I use one of these http://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+woodworkin ... accuscribe
which is a bit of an upgrade on the compass and for 20 quid not worth fretting over

Can't agree with you on that, If you look, the pin is off the wall so it wouldn't mirror accurately the undulations of stonework or brickwork as the pin must be constantly opposite the pencil for an accurate repeat.
The mass of plastic would lose the finer points by a long way.
OK for plaster work's gentle undulations and, of course drawing circles
But no good when you have to scribe into an ugly wall accurately and swiftly to earn the daily crust.
Can't beat the compass and pencil, 1 item does all.
Regards Rodders

blackrodd":1dqc2ma0 said:
Can't agree with you on that, If you look, the pin is off the wall so it wouldn't mirror accurately the undulations of stonework or brickwork as the pin must be constantly opposite the pencil for an accurate repeat.
But no good when you have to scribe into an ugly wall accurately and swiftly to earn the daily crust.
Regards Rodders

I don't think it's designed to be used as the photo shows. The pencil holder is articulated which would allow you to tip the whole thing towards the line being scribed, thus keeping the plastic well away from the wall and the pin in contact with the wall or whatever. I've used one to scribe round some stone work once (borrowed it from kitchen fitter to see if it's better than my aforementioned lolly sticks) and it works very well.

Since my missus has now banned lollys for the kids on the basis of sugar content I may need to get me one!!

Zeddedhed":5tcy80q5 said:
blackrodd":5tcy80q5 said:
Regards Rodders

I don't think it's designed to be used as the photo shows. The pencil holder is articulated which would allow you to tip the whole thing towards the line being scribed, thus keeping the plastic well away from the wall and the pin in contact with the wall or whatever. I've used one to scribe round some stone work once (borrowed it from kitchen fitter to see if it's better than my aforementioned lolly sticks) and it works very well.

Since my missus has now banned lollys for the kids on the basis of sugar content I may need to get me one!!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50xLarge-Jumb ... SwBP9UVIs3

Zeddedhed":eq6meyfv said:
blackrodd":eq6meyfv said:
Regards Rodders

By the time you've bent that all shapes, and adjusted the pencil At £29.99, or £19.99, £1 compass man would be done!
Rodders

:mrgreen: You need to get the SC105-SET to get the Systainer, but on the bright side it comes with 9 accessories you will use once before the novelty wears off.

(OK Full disclosure, I am a confirmed Festoolholic, but sometimes their prices make my bum wink)

Latest posts

Back