£300 and Its no good !!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Well today I unloaded the new Lathe stand
Got it down the workshop

Tried to fit it all together , and , nothing fits :twisted:

The frame is 8" to short :twisted:

and none of the bolt holes line up :cry:

Phoned Poolewood and they said , they will get the maker to ring me :roll:

He phoned and said he will send some longer centre poles and I can re drill all the holes :!: :!:

NO NO NO I say , I paid for a lathe stand not a DIY kit :!: :!:

He then said I could go and buy some MDF fit that to the frame and then use wood screws to hold the lathe onto the MDF :evil: :evil:

Do they think I am mad or what , £300 for a DIY bodge , I dont think so

I told him I wanted it sorted ASAP and he has now agreed to come to my home with the longer centre poles , and bring tooling to sort out the holes on site , so we will now have another delay before I am up and running

Already waited 2 weeks for the said stand to be made

Here are the photos

IMG_1125.jpg

IMG_1124.jpg

IMG_1123.jpg

Well - To get a bench for their own lathe wrong.......

A quick thought - are you planning to bolt the lathe down? (Not advisable if you are new to turning as the thing dancing round the w/shop can mean something is not quite right).

Either way, put some rubber (3 / 4 mm thick is enough) under the legs. You have a solid (if short :shock: ) bench, a heavy lathe and will be spinning out of balance pieces sooner or later. The vibration will kill the bearings in the end as they will be reflected back up the leg off the floor if there is nothing to absorb them.

A tip someone gave me and it seemed to make sense, cost 99% of nothing to do, protected many £££sss (TBA) of kit and made no difference to operation. A no-brainer :lol:

Very sorry to hear about the problem Blister.

On the positive side it will give you a little more time to sort, clean and sharpen all those tools ready for the 'off' :wink:

Sorry to hear about the problem Blister
Another satisfier Poolewood customer :eek: :x lol

I'm afraid some suppliers/manufacturers have a reputation, not usually without good cause..........

Cheers, Paul. :D

What bad luck,and equally bad service :evil:

It doesn't fit by..ooh.. quite a lot :(

Hope you get it sorted out to your satisfaction.

Andrew

That is so poor, it just beggars belief. I only hope that the 'professional' who comes to correct it has the grace and courtesy to apologise.

Heck, it's not even close.

On the basis that you are unlikely to ever order another one (so a'half-price next one guv' gesture is worthless) I too would press for a discount.

That is really really bad. I can only imagine that the air was a similar blue to the frame!

At that stage, and given the quality, I' won't go for a rebate, I would just refuse the whole thing. This is totaly unacceptable.

Thats a bad do, i cant help thinking though fella if other more serious problems arise , are they going to send another monkey out with a spanner? rather than swapping the lot for worthy goods or cash,All the best Blister hope you get on track soon,

Did you pay by credit card? If so I would contact the card company, explain the problem, and demand a refund. Then place a new order somewhere else. You may gather that I use a credit card for such transactions. I too was messed about by a supplier, in this case a printer, but I got my money back and profuse apologies from the supplier once the card company had given them grief.
Bob

Hi Blister,
First my commiserations. I would send it back, demand your money back or that they provide a replacement which fits for £100 less than your £300 original price.

I don't see that you should have to tolerate a DIY bodge, them coming to your site and adding in the missing 8 inches I would conclude is a bodge.

If you paid by credit card then try to get onto the CC people to get repaid.

I have dealt with Poolewood before and think that some of their attitudes stink. eg:
1) Clearly their problem but they delay by referring you to the manufacturer..they are responsible to you not the manufacturer.
2) They just don't seem to want to pay out any money so try to sidestep their responsibilities.

I would recommend against Poolewood as a supplier due to their poor business practices.

regards
Alan

S'interesting - about the only retailer to come out well from My Great Bandsaw Buying Fiasco was Poolewood. The secondhand saw I attempted to buy from them literally fell off the lorry and was rendered US; no hesitation at all in promptly refunding all monies. Mind you, thinking about it, I suppose it was all being paid for by the insurers of the butter-fingered transport company... :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Latest posts

Back