Wood id needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No skills

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, have salvaged some timber a while ago and was after some help with the ID.

Was expecting pine when I ran the planer over it but I think instead this is douglas fir???? (conti board anyone? :D )

whatisit.jpg

Plenty of splits (checks??) started if you look at the ends but it has been in use outside since 1972 (I was born in 1976 :) ), will probably use this for my workbench legs.

And today this...

whatisit2.jpg

Its fairly heavy for its size, been in use outside for 25 years - minimal splits at the ends of the boards.

Any thoughts from the collective???

:)

Attachments

• whatisit.jpg
    whatisit.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 138
  • whatisit2.jpg
    whatisit2.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 138
the top ones are definately one of the pine family and I would put my money on the lower one being keruing

I think that keruing is probably spot on considering where I got it from, thanks for the input folks. Will cut it down into 8' lengths and find somewhere to store it for now (just need something to do with it all now :shock: ).

The softwood, I'm not sure at all really - not that its important at all but feels different from any other that I've messed with before (limited experience showing). Its quite hard for a softwood and the plane was more laboured taking off the top 1.5mm of it than it was doing the keruing :?

Cheers

Back