WIP: Fitted Wardrobes (finished)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joiner_sim

Established Member
Reaction score
The latest of my WIPs can be found on http://www.joinersim.vze.com

wardrobes2.JPG

This is a work-in-progress that will be carried out, outside of the workshop and built on site for one of my family members. I am using 44x44mm PAR softwood for all my main frame work. I am also using 12x32mm PAR softwood for door stops and other bits and pieces. I am going to be using 18mm MDF for panels, shelves and doors....The doors I plan on beading to make artificial panels. All of the MDF has been ordered, cut-to-size, hopefully this will be a good decision and should speed the work up slightly. The finish will be painted.
Below, shows the size/dimensions of the design.

wardrobes.JPG

All the materials have been ordered today (16/5/09) and I should be getting started with it all over the bank holiday weekend. I just hope it all goes okay and ordering the MDF pre-cut was the right decision! Watch this space...

yes, with a well set up wall saw like that they should be all spot on. i remember once getting my dad to cut up some mdf for me, he did it with the handheld circular saw free hand, they where quiet a bit out :shock:

John

haha :lol: thats why i've decided to get it all pre-cut and delivered.

:arrow: yes, I could have probably got it all pre-cut at the workshop I work in, but due to the way things are currently in the workshop, I felt it was best to give the work to my second choice.

I will be bringing my circular saw with me incase I need to do some trimming of the materials! But at least all the major cuttings have been done for me!

Arrived today at my relatives house, and it being family obviously had to help clear the room for the work first, most of it had been done but still some things needed moving. Eventually got that done and then moved in the tools, timber and MDF! I had ordered 7 pre-cut cheets of MDF and 12 lengths of 44x44mmx2.4m and 10 lengths of 12x32mmx2.1m
Here's how things looked before I started the work:

DSCF0388.jpg

As you can see there is a doorway on the left this is only to a small cupboard and I have removed the door as this will become a walk-in cupboard, part of the fitted wardrobes. With the ceiling height being 2.8metres long and the timber only being 2.4metres long, I had to half lap joint my four uprights. Cut straight down, and chiseled straight out. Then glued and screwed, you can see this below:

DSCF0393.jpg

Once I lengthened all the standards I made up the two end frames first on my trestles, just using wood glue and screwing to form a butt joint, I know, I know it's not the best joint in the world but in this situation it will be fine as there is support from the walls, floor and ceiling. I filled, belt sanded and orbital sanded the two end frames. Then using a stick with a bubble in it, some might know it as a spirit level, I then got the frames aligned up against the walls, drilled and screwed, I also used wood glue and hard-as-nails to secure it.

So now I had got my two end frames secured I then had my middle bit missing!!! Not to worry, I just measured the point of where I needed my bottom, top and middle parts and I then sanded them up, glued, screwed and job done. Heres how it looked....(if you look closely you will see how the half lap joint appears on the front)

DSCF0396.jpg

If that picture you might be able to see the filler I've just left on, as this was the last thing I did today, I'll sand it off tomorrow. So as you can guess I have finished all of my framing on the front, well apart from fixing it to the ceiling.... I'm a bit dubious about that as I dont have a stud/electric/water detector thingy majigy! So I am thinking about not fixing it to the ceiling and just putting a noggin in from the front of the frame to the wall on the back, which I think will secure it..... your views are welcome about that!? Anyway, to finish off the first day I can happily say the whole of the front of my frame work is up and ready for the interior parts to be worked on tomorrow (well, i must move my tools out first!) , here's a picture of it:

DSCF0392.jpg

For the more observant of you lot, you may notice the window on the left....the cracked glass? Well..... when I was half-lapping my first standard it didnt occur to me to cramp my timber to the trestles before I started whacked it with my chisel..... and..... erm..... the timber when thru the window! That's another part of the job I've got to do now!!! Not going to replace now until I've finished just incase I smack it again! Oops!

As always with my work-in-progresses, please give me your thoughts, comments and advice. Also if you have any questions I'll be happy to answer them. Thanks for looking, Simon. 22/05/09

Simon, have you scribed around the skirting or just screwed over the top of it??

I haven't scribed around the skirting because the walls were bent and the skirting is in line with the top end of the wall.

Simon, good progress for day 1! I did a built in wardrobe some years ago for my daughter and used pocket screws to fit the shelves to the verticals - made it easy to move them when the layout needed to change.
Just an observation on your diagram, you have the gap between each shelf (left hand side) as 500mm and the total height as 2000 to the underside of the horizontal- implying the MDF shelves are 0mm thick. If you do need to keep the gaps identical, you should divide (2000-3*18) by 4 (assuming there is no floor level MDF) - i.e the bottom of the first shelf should be 486.5mm (no need to be THAT accurate!).

Dave

Dave - :lol: Ha ha ha, I'm just bout to post todays WIP, but before I do I thought I'd reply to your post. My shelving unit is too short, I forgot about my 44mm timbers, so there is a 88mm gap at the top, but it's all worked out okay in the end! Once I have finished the fitted wardrobes, I will be taking notes for next time a job like this comes up so I can be more efficent in my work.

Right well today I stopped off at Wickes first before going to the house to start up again. I brought the hanging rails and some more screws, it was fairly busy being a bank holiday weekend!
Right, well arrived and got straight to work. I started by giving the frame more strength and stability, also at the same time setting up supports for the top storage cupboards. I butt jointed the noggins with a screw thru the front of the frame, but on the back wall I half lapped my noggin over the support batten for the shelving. You can see this here:

DSCF0400.jpg

I then trimmed the pre-cut MDF to fit. As you can see the MDF is sitting proud, and no this isn't by mistake..... well.... sort of was but it has worked out well, forming the bottom door stops already! -

DSCF0408.jpg

After fitting all the top shelving, I got to work on making the shelving unit for the wardrobes. MDF, glued and screwed. I filled all my screw holes and sanded it all up before taking it off the trestles.

DSCF0402.jpg

I then fitted it into the wardrobe and attached the shelf at the same time. For the more obsevrant of you, yes..... there is 4 shelves instead of the planned 3 as to my drawings. I ordered one to many I think, but it has worked out nicely with more shelves with loads of space still! I also would have liked to have ran the unit all the way up to the top but I didn't think thru my pre-cut MDF order list correctly. Oh well.......

DSCF0405.jpg

I then got to work on putting up a divide between the wardrobe and the storage cupboard. I used another piece of pre-cut MDF I think I had over-ordered, to start myself off. I will be putting another piece in down at the bottom in when I order my last bit of MDF I require.

DSCF0409.jpg

So that was the day pretty much over, here's a work-in-progress shot of the work for the day.

DSCF0410.jpg

And now a bit of over-kill, but the work finished for the day after a sweep up!

DSCF0414.jpg

And finally a close-up shot of the interior. If you look closely youi can see that my noggin in the storage cupboard is too wide to fit in flush, so to make it smoother looking, I put a bevel on the end of the timber.

DSCF0416.jpg

So thats all my hard work for today done! I hope if you are reading this work-in-progress, that it may be of some help to you. Although I've never really done this particular job before, I feel that so far I have done a decent job and I am quite pleased with it. However, I'm always happy to hear a second opinion, so please let me know what you think on my progress. If you have any advice or questions for me please feel free to ask! Thanks for looking as always, and please comment! Simon 23/05/09

:arrow: I'm now sat down enjoying a well deserved, ice cold pint of carlsberg! :eek:ccasion5:

Nice to that it isn't white faced chipboard held to the wall with metal 'L' brackets.:lol:

Reminds me of one I was working on in Rotherham last year.

I had the same issue of the timbers being a little short of the ceiling height. I solved it by only building the frame up to the top shelf height to take the doors and then building the upper section seperately to join on to it. I set the top rail of the door frames to the picture rail height in the room and continued the picture rail across the front of the wardrobe.

For the side walls I usually space the frame away from the wall a little so that the frame is plumb and then infill the gap with a scribed piece to cover the gap down to the skirting.
I also tend to fit skirting across the front of the wardrobes to match the room and where there is a walk in door way like yours I will architrave it as a doorway to match the existing ones in the room.

I never got the finish that one. I got as far as getting the doors on and setting everything flat and level and the client told me she'd sold up and was moving! I got paid for the job but never got to finish it.

I did a similar thing a few years ago. I never got around to finishing the rear wall and it drove my wife mad.

If I did it again I would strip the paper, line the wall and paint it white before attaching the frame.

Trying to paint that back and side wall will be a nightmare once you have installed everything.

What do you intend to do with it?

Looking good by the way.

Mick

Mick, it's in a relatives house, so that really shouldn't be my problem... However, it will be because I'm decorating the whole room once the wardrobes are finished. And new carpet is being laid down after. Wallpapering only one wall, so painting up all the rest over the existing paper. We are thinking painting the wallpaper the same colour as the wardrobes so it all matches up and dont have to worry about the different colours.

Today, was the last day I'm working on the job now until next weekend, so time was of the essence to get as much done as possible, as I already knew I would need to order some more MDF for doors and panelling. These pictures have been not been taken as the work was done.....
First thing I did this morning was sand up the filler that I left on the frame last night, I also then took all the sharp edges off the framing inside and out. I then cut the clothes rails and sorted out the end fixtures for them. On the middle wardrobe I had to add supports for the rail because of the long span. And as the supports are only sold at 60mm long, I had to lower them using timber, something I didn't really want to do, but it had to be done to make the wardrobe useable. So in an attempt to make an error look "stylish" I sanded up the timbers and rounded off all the edges and fixed them on a 45degree angle, as you can see....

DSCF0417.jpg

As you can already see in the picture above, I fitted the four doors I do have. I'm missing one of the wardrobes doors and all of the top cupboard doors, which will be ordered and delivered within the week for me. I trimmed the tops and bottoms of the doors, with a jigsaw if it was required for a better fit.

The hinges I am using are 2" flush cranked hinges from wickes. They have got alot more strength than I actually thought they had. I am putting 4 hinges on per door. They are pretty good to use and makes hanging the doors easier work. I am also aware that I may be using the hinges the wrong way around but it works for me and the design.

DSCF0421.jpg

One problem I have now encountered using the hinges the wrong way around to suit my design, is that the knuckle of the hinge pushes the door out of the frame and does not bring it flush with the frame, as you can see in the picture below. To fix this problem I am going to just chisel out some space for the knuckle to sit inside the framing.

DSCF0419.jpg

I then took off all the doors after fitting, then sanded them all up. I then marked out the doors for the mock panels I'm putting on them, you can see the faint lines on the door in the picture below. For the mock panels, I'm going to get some thin MDF 3 or 6mm....? and just glue and pin them to the doors. I was going to bead them all, but after looking at moulded timber prices I think it would have worked out uneconomical.

DSCF0423.jpg

I have now also covered the gaps between the framing and the walls, scribing a piece of 32x12mm all the way around, sorry no pictures taken of that yet.

And finally a picture I took before I removed the doors... ( this picture was taken as it is more or less the design I drew to begin with)

DSCF0420.jpg

Well, thats it for this weekend, going to enjoy the bank holiday now, well whats left of it anyways! And you know what coming next, as always please feel free to comment on the work and ask questions! Thanks for looking, Simon - 24/05/09

what about normal flush hinges? a piece of pie to fit and will have your doors sitting flush to the frame.

John

I dont like the idea of the normal flush hinge holding a 2000x650 18mm thick MDF door. I'm not too keen on the idea of these cranked hinges holding them, but its the best option I thought I had. A cranked hinge has more grip on the door in my opinion, but my question to you would be.....

:arrow: Have you put a flush hinge on a 18mm MDF door at approx. 2000x650, does it take the weight?

Normal euro-style hinges can easily take the larger doors, just use more hinges! They usually have 3-4 to hold the larger doors.

The wardrobes are completed, I forgot to take my digital camera with me on the final day, and so took a picture on my mobile, but now I can't get the pics transferred! :roll:

I'm going back to it on saturday to replace the glass in the windows and fix a few loose floorboards, so hopefully will get some pictures taken then, althought they may have been primed up by then.....

The work that was done to complete.....

Last 6 doors were fitted and sanded. The all the 10 doors were panelled with 6mm MDF, glued and nialed on. The hinges were chopped in to allow the doors to sit flush, due to the knuckle on the hinges didnt let them sit flush. Magnectic catches and handles were fitted to all the doors.

Pictures to come on saturday, and then I'll post up final pictures once the room's been decorated and carpeted.
Simon.

Right, well I forgot to take my camera with me on the last two days of working on the wardrobes, but here are the pictures taken today of it all finished, without the paint on just yet. I will be posting up pictures of the wardrobes again once the room's decorated, carpeted and looking neat again, so you can see how it all fits in.

The first picture shows how I have scribed my frame around the skirting and shapes of the walls, using a bit of 12x32mm timber. You can also see that the doors also sit flush now after I chopped the knuckle of the hinge into the frame.

DSCF0430.jpg

The next picture shows interior parts finished, and you can also see the undercoat has has been started to get applied. You also get a peek at the completed finished doors.

DSCF0432.jpg

The next picture shows the middle part of the wardrobe, where there is long hanging space and eventually underneath a shoe rack will be placed inside. You will also notice the partion bewteen the wardrobe and cupboard has been completed!

DSCF0433.jpg

And now a close-up of all the handles and panels. The panel are 6mm thick and have been pinned and glued onto the 18mm thick doors.

DSCF0431-1.jpg

The wardrobes are so tall I could not fit the whole lot in from top to bottom, so the last two pictures show you the finished wardrobes from the outside.

DSCF0429-1.jpg

DSCF0428-1.jpg

Well thats it, in total it took 5 days to complete to this stage, and I am quite happy with it myself and so is the relative whose house they are in! Just got to get that decorating done now and then I'll post up a finished picture when the room's complete. Please let me know what you think of this, and I hope this has helped you if there is something in this work-in-progress that was relevant to you.

Thanks, Simon. 04/06/09

Back