Which Router Bit set to get around £20-£30?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrDavidRoberts

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello Sirs , I bought the katsu 1/4 router and now need some router bits for it.
I'm not really sure what brands are decent when it comes to router bits, but I want to get a set of 10-15 cutters that I could use ocassionally, the plan is to get some kind of Ok'ish quality set at first and than Buy some better quality individual cutters once I see which ones I need the most.

I have had a set of those cheap £10 bits in past where you get 12 of them in a wooden box and I thought myself they were ok for the price, but really want to get something a bit more quality this time since I will probably be using this small router much more than the huge 1/2 router I had in past.

Another vote for the Trend set.

Wealden are superb for individual router cutters. I'm not sure if they do sets too, worth checking out.

I just found a set of 15 those trend cutters for £24.50,seems like good stuff for a good price from the online reviews, but there must be something else out there as well not only trend?
had a look at the wealden and seems like I can't even buy 1 bit for that money,let alone a set :( Maybe I can buy super quality individual bits like that in future when I have figured out which ones I need the most.

The Trend ones are very good value for money, also worth getting a diamond file to keep them sharp too

I started with a Trend set then gradually replaced them with Wealden ones as they wore out.

Rod

That' very cheap for a set of high quality bits, I have Trend and Wealdon bits, but the Wealdon's are my go to every time.

Mike

MikeJhn":172e61pr said:
That' very cheap for a set of high quality bits, I have Trend and Wealdon bits, but the Wealdon's are my go to every time.

Mike
On the other side, if you look at their ''normal'' prices and than at those super-duper discount ones ( where they don't have their name on them but are the same bits) you see how hard they are fleecing you.. I prefer not to give my business to such companies where they charge you 90% of the price just for their name on it.

I prefer not to give my business to such companies where they charge you 90% of the price just for their name on it.

Do you expect them to 'give' you their professional quality router cutters for a couple of quid each then??? As companies go, they don't come much more reputable than Wealden. Browse through the forums and you'll see plenty of recommendations for them.

I'm not expecting anything Sir :) Anyone can charge whatever they want for the stuff they are selling ;)
Just pointing out that they specially haven't branded those ''discounted'' bits even they say they are exactly the same bits, yet they charge just £17 for that set where as in you would probably have to pay something like £70 if you bought those same exact bits but with their name on it.. Just goes to show what kind of markup they have on them- and even on those ''discounted'' they are still making a nice profit.
So based on that I can see that they provide very bad value for money and are just pulling prices out of thin air and trading on their name- so I would rather not deal with such company myself If I don't have to.

Either way, I ordered the Trend set, hopefully it will last me a while.
Thanks phil.p

The cheap Wealden set was unbranded as it was probably made in bulk for another vendor to sell on. I have dozens of Wealden cutters, and I've never had any problem with them. I shall undoubtedly buy many more, but for value I cannot knock the Trend set I have had for years. It's a very good place to start. Incidentally, look at the cost of single Trend cutters - they are far from cheap.

Hello,

The clearance Wealden set are the same quality as the professional Wealden line, the Trend ones are not, though good enough for a starter set. I think it is a bit churlish to look a gift horse in the mouth, because of some idea that the standard stock are overpriced because the discounted set is so cheap. At 17.50 the Wealden set should be snapped up.

The Trend professional line are excellent bits, (not in that set) but much higher priced than Wealden. For value and performance, Wealden seem to be about the best.

Mike.

Woodbrains well said, +1, =D> =D> =D>

Well I know someone that has bought a set.

Mike

Another vote for Wealdon tools here.

I've bought about 7 bits from them, all superb. It made such a huge positive impact to my work. Their forstner bits are great too.

Their delivery is quick too.

My £17.00 set arrived to day, nice set of bits as always from Wealdon, will be spot on for trimming in a small router.

Mike

Latest posts

Back