Wenge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duncancompton

Reaction score
I was at the timber merchant's a while back and, as is usual, I flicked through the offcuts in the mill looking for something interesting. They had a bit of Wenge in there, including some wide boards, so I bought some, with no particular piece of furniture in mind. The right client will present themselves at some point in the future, I thought.

Now, I've tried planing it a couple of times, and it just chips the plane blade immediately. I don't mean after a while, I mean on the first pass. I couldn't plane and hone very frequently to overcome the problem; it won't plane at all.

I'm using a lie nielsen plane, with the blade honed at 30 degrees, set at 50 degrees in the plane.

Any ideas?

That stuff is evil, be very wary of splinters as they often become infected. When I used it I was using a block plane (91/2) with the blade sharpened to 20 degrees and it was OK but I did have to sharpen often and the sole need re-flattening afterwards. Good luck Simon

As others have said it is horrible stuff and as a special favour to you as a new member I will take it off your hands free of charge. I could also dispose of the LN plane that is obviously defective if it can't plane a bit of wood.

Steve :wink:

Thanks promhandicam, that's a really kind offer. I'll be in touch soon so you can give me the address to send the plane and wood to. I feel like I'm stitching you up, but you did ask for them.

In the meantime, I'll try steepening the edge angle, but the damage is so quick and serious at 30 degrees that I can't see it working somehow. I'll try it anyway. Some of the stock had already been planed, by machine, so it must be possible to get through it. Unless they're using TC planer blades perhaps?

I have just used some Wenge to make a clock shown on the Wood Whisperer site and found I could not hand plane it successfully but it went through the planer without a problem,
I cut the mitres on my SCMS with a 60 tooth blade fitted and luck was on my side as the mitres lined up great so no need to fettle, watch out for the splinters.

Nigel

Agree about wenge and the splinters...nasty, long, evil ones :twisted: at the drop of a hat...beware! - Rob

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but how do you pronounce 'Wenge'?

I assumed it would be 'Weng-y' with the 'g' like in 'wang' and the 'y' like in 'bendy' ish :oops: But a friend of mine pronounced it 'Wenj' with the 'j' pronounced as in 'hinge'?

Anyone care to edumacate me?

Cheers

Mark

TrimTheKing":3p6nbe3k said:

I assumed it would be 'Weng-y' with the 'g' like in 'wang' and the 'y' like in 'bendy' ish :oops: But a friend of mine pronounced it 'Wenj' with the 'j' pronounced as in 'hinge'?

Cheers

Mark
Mark - as in the latter...'wenj' and there's a 'j' after the 'd' in 'edumacate' :lol: - Rob

woodbloke":280f4n4n said:
TrimTheKing":280f4n4n said:

Cheers

Mark
Mark - as in the latter...'wenj' and there's a 'j' after the 'd' in 'edumacate' :lol: - Rob
:D thanks Rob.

Considur mee edjumacated. ;)

Cheers

Mark

It's french in origin, and I think it has an accent. Theoretically I think it is wen-gey.

But wenj seems much less poncey.

A book I read said it should be When Gay
My merchants say When Gee
My collegue says wHen Jay

TrimTheKing":19z95di3 said:
Thank you men. I certainly feel more comfortable with the wen-gay pronunciation as it seems more natural but I don't care either way. Not that I have ever actually spoken it loud for fear of sounding silly...

:D

Mark
Further edjumacated...be an MA next :lol: - Rob

Latest posts

Back