Wadkin RB resoration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallace

Established Member
Reaction score
Its been a little while since I did a resto thread, I have been busy though, I just finished an RS lathe but I've done a couple of threads on them so didn't bother again.
I was going to do a MF morticer but the courier curse struck and it ended up doing a somersault off the tail lift from a great height. I cant blame the driver too much because the seller had firstly attached it to a euro pallet which are totally unsuitable for top heavy lumps of iron, secondly he left the table wound up and motors raised.
The driver should have known better though, I never understand why they want to turn a pallet on the tail lift when it would be much easier to push it straight onto it then remove the pump truck, lower and put the truck back in from the front.
Anyway no one was hurt so that's the main thing.
I never knew 75Okg could bounce but it did, half pike double twist and back slap. This was a really nice machine amazingly no hand wheels broken

BDEmlZh.jpg

lBvK1Xr.jpg

wnpS2mX.jpg

Heres the RB,

qlj9syM.jpg

vWGA7os.jpg

i4gAxyp.jpg

This is the first single phase wadkin I've come across and dates from 1934

SW7CiT1.jpg

I asked the seller to lie it down to save the couriers a job in dropping it. Shame he didn't take the guard off first to stop damage

Bj0UcJN.jpg

They are pretty simple things to strip down and within an hour it was in bits

18V2JkT.jpg

JzdTiFe.jpg

I maybe should have cracked the nuts whilst was on the machine.

kDmWPFS.jpg

The nuts came off without too much force and I reversed the nut and screwed it back on to check for stretched threads. They screwed on smoothly so this machine has not been manhandled

QcpDB61.jpg

You can also remove two clam shells to run moulding irons

BNhJiLC.jpg

I've never come across split double row bearings before

2bM61Rh.jpg

To clean any machined surfaces I like to use scotchbrite and brake cleaner. I don't like using wire wheels because it can ruin the surface.

hP8mxLc.jpg

Wadkin even stamp the ways so you don't mix parts up

GipkB28.jpg

Everything derusted and degreased

Ov5Hf1I.jpg

p6ZIEQJ.jpg

I like to give stuff a coat of zinc primer before I do any fill work

mFBAiFt.jpg

EKEhtFf.jpg

KcZ1DUD.jpg

A bit more progress, I ran out of ali filler so had to use standard bondo.

PEOsPXK.jpg

039EYGj.jpg

The fence looks crusty but cleaned up well

QJdTZhf.jpg

WIdXXXU.jpg

The tables look worse than they are

MDrNeUu.jpg

The steel lips have a bit pitting but the cast iron is clean

0PvlIa9.jpg

Gb27GB3.jpg

A bit more done.

aDMgpuz.jpg

YUt2qJe.jpg

gifZ4yD.jpg

GQ9NhbX.jpg

B8NKrD4.jpg

That was a few hours well spent

orDrl8X.jpg

I got the head cleaned and back in

i9GtHOT.jpg

The bridge guard got damaged in transit, so I heated it up and hit it lots of times to straighten

l9gFOCw.jpg

I was a bit more gentle with the brass bit, just a bit of heat and twisted it with stilsons, then a couple of slight bashes with a hammer

g3IGZRL.jpg

i1wPAug.jpg

I like to use thing which came from a car boot sale in the drill to start prepping the brass

PaEBpuc.jpg

JyDsVCW.jpg

sanded to 5OOgrit

Qj50zU2.jpg

V30w0mr.jpg

y6qzBiG.jpg

GLWls03.jpg

I found this inside the motors connection box

DVScplI.jpg

PCnrRAA.jpg

Big cast iron pulley wheel, it had partial holes drilled into the backside to balance it.

vw78h5K.jpg

DKIzBUJ.jpg

I flushed the bearings and blew the motor out. I was going to take it to bits completely but the end bells were very reluctant to come off so I left well alone.

Bc0wnb6.jpg

Just about completed. I thought I'd have a play with matt paint

JOFvMDd.jpg

6E4To9X.jpg

snOV1n2.jpg

utR7vc4.jpg

loRYmlY.jpg

oGpHmkg.jpg

bAmJiQy.jpg

uT6fG0m.jpg

I needed a starter and found this cool thing in my stash. shame its only 2.8 amps so no use.

WXK6hW4.jpg

New old stock

rai3GUg.jpg

sfdBuRd.jpg

As you can see I need to touch up some paint that's been dragged off by the masking tape. I ran out of yellow frog tape so had to use regular stuff which is horrible stuff.

aTPuo8h.jpg

0dHt4h4.jpg

zJXWGBm.jpg

7x9C1OR.jpg

GOMmn1O.jpg

FQudxND.jpg

SJmVQ1N.jpg

nQvt7Yb.jpg

UrKJ1Lt.jpg

7IDUS69.jpg

Ee3Khj2.jpg

And for all you wadkin geeks out their, here's a 'treat especial'.
Wadkin had an in house photographer who would do the machine photos for catalogues, he would visit work places where there machines were used. This dates from the 193O's

s8cbMw1.jpg

REnEyPf.jpg

I note that even in the 1930’s (was that the good old days?) they still had the safety features on the saw

Aidan

TheTiddles":1m4cy8pg said:
I note that even in the 1930’s (was that the good old days?) they still had the safety features on the saw

Aidan

Not bad for a 1925 design, riving knife, blade guard, fully adjustable fence and dust extraction. The americans still haven't caught on with their silly full length fences, no riving knives and no blade guard.

Love watching you restore these big lumps, Bet they are a joy to use when comparing them with the light weight machines that flood the markets nowadays.
Jim.

Dare I ask what kind of figure you would expect this to fetch? A rough guess?

Might I also suggest some more detail in the ebay listing? overall dimensions, estimated weight, that sort of thing?

Its a hard thing to predict, I did a machine and it sold for £11O which wasn't the best. It is a very useful thing with fantastic quality that cannot be gotten these days. If you bought something new from axminster you could get a 6" planer for over £1k. The cut these old machines give is really nice. I would hope around £1k.

Sorry it didn't go for more. I was the second highest bidder but only really bid what I could afford. Sad that only one other person wanted to pay more.

Back