umbrella stand - critique

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul-c

Established Member
Reaction score
hi have finally finished my umbrella stand - for my dad
it rotates around the centre spindle.
hope you like it.
your critique is welcomed - good or bad its all constructive. [-o<
cheers
paul-c

p.s. link to see pics a bit bigger

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44809063@N04/?saved=1

5884092564_b09779a187_m.jpg

5883527685_a90af72b94_m.jpg

5884092258_2235fb8f45_m.jpg

Cant see much on the pics, but looks good from what i can see.

I do like the locating holes for the umbrella sharp ends !

What a nice idea - and from what I can see in the pics looks well executed too.

Doesn't your Dad have a lot of umbrellas (or a lot of visitors with umbrellas) :D

echo the other comment re nice idea

from what I can see in the pics I feel the 3 outer 'posts' are a little chunky, but then again that's in keeping with the piece as a whole and it will look great in a large porch etc.

having recently 'recycled' an old oak hatstand/coat stand/umbrella stand this is certainly on my list too.

thanks for sharing

Thats a good idea. I am always shoving our brolleys in a corner somewhere and 'losing' them.

As said, the pics don't show much as they don't enlarge but overall, it looks good and well made.

Hi Paul,

When you open the piccy in Flikr click 'actions' then from the drop down menu click 'view all sizes' then just pick the size you want to post, you know the rest from posting the one's above

Here's one I've done as an example :

5884092258_2235fb8f45_b.jpg

Cheers

Steve

BTW Nice umbrella stand :D

Lovely spindle work Paul :D
Looking at the photos i see you have three feet,and three columns. :?:
I think i would have made the columns fit central between the feet,or the feet to the coloumns :wink:
Also perhaps made the columns slightly thinner and more delicate looking.
Does the bottom plate have a concave finish.This would let the water drain into the middle and perhaps into a water container :?:
Nice work all round though :D

Very good indeed. Design is a quite personal issue anyway. I think you have nailed it (not literally) - the finials give sculptural presence and show off the workmanship, I feel the spindles are a slight bit heavier than my eye says and I mean just a few mm. Nice combination of woods, textures and tones, very well finished. BUT: does your dad like it??

Back