• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Tyler Variable Speed Bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Matt-

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all.
This is a Tyler bandsaw which (built 1950's or so) was originally designed to run on a 'spiral cut' blade, meaning you could take the wood in and the blade would cut in any direction.
Now sadly it's been converted at some point to run on standard blades and I'm not sure this has been done properly.
It runs absolutely spot on for following lines, but the problem comes in the fence. There isn't one. I've beeen using a piece of wood and after messing about getting the wheels set up and all sorts to get the blade to run parallel you can get a well enough cut.
It can take long to set up the fence than a traditional one, you have to clamp something across the table and then square that up to the front edge.
Today I cut a piece of MDF, which was 1420mm long, and there was a difference of 0.3mm over that distance which is fair enough for what I want usually, but I'm fed up with the fence hassle.

Variable speed works on two cones and a belt like a CVT in some cars (old DAF for example), only change that when saw is running!
Has a brand new Tuffsaws blade on it.
Overall height is just over 6ft
Wheel dia ~ 15"
Throat ~ Just short of the 15" (about 365mm)
Cut height ~ 8 1/2"
Single phase on a 13A plug.

FrontView.jpg

DoorsOpen.jpg

RearTopCase.jpg

SpeedHandle.jpg

CVT.jpg

MotorPlate.jpg

TylerSign.jpg

Pickup from York, North Yorkshire

£150

Thank you

Matt

Attachments

• FrontView.jpg
    FrontView.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 1,187
  • DoorsOpen.jpg
    DoorsOpen.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 1,188
  • RearTopCase.jpg
    RearTopCase.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 1,188
  • SpeedHandle.jpg
    SpeedHandle.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 1,186
  • CVT.jpg
    CVT.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 1,186
  • MotorPlate.jpg
    MotorPlate.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 1,185
  • TylerSign.jpg
    TylerSign.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 1,186
I have absolutely no idea! I've not bothered looking for the blades, Tuffsaws may sell them but again I've not looked.
There doesn't seem to be much information about Tyler around so trying to find an image of the original blade guides would be problematic.

Back