Ty Gwyn (Whitehouse) Collier's Axe?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhyolith

Established Member
Reaction score
A little while ago I started a thread about felling axes: felling-axe-t96238.html this resulted in a very generous offer from a forum member for his old 7lb axe that he used in the mines.

Ty Gwyn Collier's Axe? by Rhyolith, on Flickr

After I fitted a new handle its been well used by myself and several members of my volunteer group for felling sycamores in local woodlands.

A friend said it was an "English Pattern Felling Axe" which is what I have assumed it was for a while. However upon seeing a near identical Axe on eBay called "Ty Gwyn Miners Axe" I now realised it might actually be one specially made for miners. I have since seen several more like this on eBay.

I looked up Whitehouse (Ty Gwyn is Whitehouse in Welsh) and it turns out that they were a family firm based in Wolverhampton. Apparently Cornelius Whitehouse started out the firm making swords for the Napoleonic Wars! There is a fairly amusing story of him dealing with a corrupt inceptor of his company: http://www.historywebsite.co.uk/article ... ehouse.htm

So I am looking for information on:

1: Whether this is a Whitehouse axe (note handle is new):

It might not be possible to be certain, but it does look pretty much identical to other "Whitehouse Collier's/Miner's" Axes I have seen on the inet, bar the lack of any writing confirming the maker.

2: Any further info on the Whitehouse company

3: What were Collier's/Miner's Axes for? My best guess is something to do with the wooden supports?

Rhyolith":3u8r8krm said:
However upon seeing a near identical Axe on eBay called "Ty Gwyn Miners Axe" I now realised it might actually be one specially made for miners. I have since seen several more like this on eBay.
I would be careful of taking eBay listing information as a trustworthy source - take it as a guide to further research.

eBay listers are strongly motivated to give whatever description will bring the highest price.

BugBear

I would have thought 7lb was a tad heavy for a miners axe, considering the short handle it would have had?

What are the dimensions of your axe head?

None of my axes are dead straight at the back so it might be a specific design.
And there is a lot of "hammer" on that too.
I think the handle is fitted upside down

I have a scan of a 1930 Whitehouse catalogue which lists the Ty Gwyn Miner's hatchet in weights from 2 to 8 pounds.
I'll put up some pictures and more info later on.

Here you go Rhyolith:

one of four pages of axes, hatchets and adzes from Whitehouse's huge range, including the Ty Gwyn axe, which they say was a registered design:

axes_zpsulqsgcnn.jpg

and the corresponding price list, showing the range of weights

Whitehouse%20axes_zpsdodasup1.jpg

It's interesting to see that this axe does not figure in the chart of standardised axe handles - and that its handle has a more pronounced curve to it than others. Maybe that was a special advantage for use in a confined space?

If you want the rest of this catalogue - and others too - it's on a compilation of scans from TATHS here or is available to members as a download.

AndyT":3jrmlgmc said:
Here you go Rhyolith:

one of four pages of axes, hatchets and adzes from Whitehouse's huge range, including the Ty Gwyn axe, which they say was a registered design:

and the corresponding price list, showing the range of weights

Now THAT's solid evidence. =D>

BugBear

R.A.Salaman in his 'Dictionary of Woodworking Tools' notes two types of miner's axe - the Welsh (as the OP's) and the Miner's Deputy's Axe.

They were of slightly different forms, but shared the flat front edge (which allowed the axe to work near the roof). The hammer poll of the Deputy's Axe was more in the shape typical of a ball-peen hammer or Warrington hammer striking end, and the axe part had a curved lower edge like a Kent pattern axe, with a notch in it for drawing nails. Both had handles 24" long. They were used for installation, trimming, notching and removal of mine timbering, and in the installation and repair of tramway track (hence the 24" handle to act as a rail gauge).

He also notes that by the 1970s, most roof supports were of steel, so their use declined considerably.

The Whitehouse company were still in business until fairly recently - into the 21st century, I think. They produced a bewildering array of special purpose hammers, for trades like panelbeaters, tinsmiths, silversmiths and so on.

Thanks CC - that makes good sense of the flat top and the special handle.

A bit more on the fate of the company. A local newspaper report here

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2016 ... bulldozed/ says the works closed in 1964 and were demolished this year. It has a few notes from a local historian and some pictures.

In another discussion about uk tool makers we found that the Whitehouse brand was acquired by Footprint Tools but they sold it to Visa Tools of Leeds.

Timeless Tools, who sell old axes and suchlike, have pictures of the various Hedgehog and other marks that Whitehouse used here

http://www.timelesstools.co.uk/tradelogos.htm

and a couple of old letterheads here

http://www.timelesstools.co.uk/letterheads.htm

I had a Whitehouse brand claw hammer new, in about 1985 I think. A very traditional straightforward good quality tool.

Back