UKWorkshop Woodworking Forums

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: 30 Nov 2017, 10:20 
Prolific Contributor

Interesting to see all these new suppliers catching on. At least I think they are new, maybe they've been around quietly for years?
It's a bit like the real ale revolution - not much chance of a swing the other way taking us back to Worthington E and 'modern' paint.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2017, 10:22 
Prolific Contributor

Nothing wrong with Worthing E - draught, that is, not keg.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2017, 19:35 
Valued Contributor

Rubbed down the paint and washed down with linseed soap as per allback guys suggestion.
Quietly confident that should sort the patchy issue.
Washed out the brush with soap this time

What a mess !!! It was a lot of effort washing it out but the brush seems reasonably clean now. Hopefully that should prevent any risk of solvent contamination on future samples.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2017, 23:10 
Prolific Contributor

Wrong brush for linseed oil paint. You need a fitch - not sure of the proper name but several different sizes of these below. And you don't wash them you leave them suspended in oil (jam jar, hole in top, clothes peg).

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2017, 06:23 
Valued Contributor

I was gonna buy one of those brushes but was advised early on they were uneccessary and an ordinary brush would do ?

If I change paint colour will the brush not need washing out ? I'm slowly but surely making progress with this. Thanks for sticking with me Jacob.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2017, 12:39 
Prolific Contributor

ColeyS1 wrote:
I was gonna buy one of those brushes but was advised early on they were uneccessary and an ordinary brush would do ?

If I change paint colour will the brush not need washing out ? I'm slowly but surely making progress with this. ....
Stiffish brush makes it much easier to brush out thin. If you use a conventional brush you can convert it by giving it a shave to make it shorter and rounded - like a well worn brush. There was a geezer on Ebay doing just that and selling them as specialities; ordinary Harris brushes which had had a hair cut.
They are really difficult to clean thoroughly - but not impossible. Simpler to have a brush for each colour and keep them suspended in oil permanently so they never need washing. The time saved alone makes it worth while.
When you get to re-use a brush you can use the oil its been suspended in as a primer so it doesn't get wasted; another economy on top of what you've already saved on solvents, cleaning materials, time and effort! Win , Win!!
ColeyS1 wrote:
..... Thanks for sticking with me Jacob.....
No problem. It's interesting to hear what others are doing - it's all experiment and learning process for me too.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2017, 13:08 
Valued Contributor

Nice one Jacob. I like the brush shortening/shaving idea.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2017, 11:29 
Valued Contributor

So it took an extra day to dry this time after being washed down with linseed soap.

Still patchy. I think I need to abandon trying to get this sample window looking consistent. It'll be a reminder to be more careful.
Several items from the other paint company are out of stock, so I'll wait until I can order all of it.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2017, 07:10 
Valued Contributor

Done the oricalcum order on the 12th and it arrived yesterday. First thing I noticed was one of the paints was on back order. Looked through the rest of the box and they've missed off page two of the order !! Lol So I'm missing the balsam turpentine and linseed oil, as well as the paint that's on back order. Rang the number and spoke to a guy 'who's alone in the office' Sent an email with pictures of page one with big red ticks next to it and page two with nothing. Awaiting their response. Joy

I guess another thing to add to linseed application info is allow plenty of time for delivery !

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2018, 08:53 
Settling In

I had this patchy looking effects on my paint, I have never had the issue when painting in the summer months. Only in the winter does it go patchy. I have convinced myself this is the issue.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2018, 09:45 
Valued Contributor

garethharvey wrote:
I had this patchy looking effects on my paint, I have never had the issue when painting in the summer months. Only in the winter does it go patchy. I have convinced myself this is the issue.
That's comforting to hear Gareth. Did the patchyness ever go away or did it stay like it forever ? I've got all the other bits and pieces from my last order now, just need to find some motivation to get into it again.
Cheers
Coley

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2018, 11:27 
Prolific Contributor

garethharvey wrote:
Possibly applied a little to thickly. I had a prob when I first used it and had to wire-wool the shiny bits away. Been OK since though.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2018, 17:47 
Settling In

ColeyS1 wrote:
garethharvey wrote:
That's comforting to hear Gareth. Did the patchyness ever go away or did it stay like it forever ? I've got all the other bits and pieces from my last order now, just need to find some motivation to get into it again.
Cheers
Coley

No, they all stayed patchy, it’s on a glasshouse so not so important. I painted these at the end of November, applied the same as I always do. They are still patchy now

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2018, 23:47 
Settling In

garethharvey wrote:
ColeyS1 wrote:
garethharvey wrote:
Cheers
Coley

No, they all stayed patchy, it’s on a glasshouse so not so important. I painted these at the end of November, applied the same as I always do. They are still patchy now

I don't think I've ever seen anything like that, but I'm still convinced it's an oily hardwood issue. I think we might have some sapele in the workshop, I might give a scrap a coat tommoz and see what happens. What was the glass house made of Gareth?

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2018, 07:37 
A Regular Member

A little while ago I was dead keen on trying linseed oil paint. This thread has put me right off that idea though!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next